captivate with froyo BLOATWARE

Last Updated:

1. chrisp28103

chrisp28103 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey I recently downloaded the leaked froyo for my samsung captivate, and upon downloading I noticed that all of the AT&T bloatware is back. I am just wondering if rooting works the same as it used to, (I downloaded the one click root app for my mac), or if I need to do something else. The reason I am wondering is that I downloaded the one click lag fix from the market and it says that 'root my device' is unavailable so I can't do it that way. Pretty much I am wanting to root so that I can download titanium backup and get rid of all of the AT&T bloatware again.
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. looksbetterinred

looksbetterinred Well-Known Member

3. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

I am not sure if TiBU works on froyo yet, but there is a thread on XDA about it.

To root the normal way (using the update.zip) you need to flash a different kernel, I am using this one: Captivate JI6 kernel with "2e recovery" clockwork compatible - xda-developers Works great and lets all the update.zip files work again without having to use the JH7 kernel.

Or there is a new one click method here:[APP]SuperOneClick v1.4 (Root, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers I have not tried it yet

Or the old way here: Captivate JI6 (v2.2) Hacks (root, non-market, no start up sound) - xda-developers

4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Go ahead and root, but I'd advise against actually removing, and instead just use TB to freeze the apps. That way you can get them back if need-be.

Deleting them doesn't save any space and meanwhile it seems every day there are new posts from someone suffering "deleter's remorse" and stuck needing someone to send them the apk of some stock app or another.

5. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer

I think I'll just post a zip package with all of the bloatware....people are asking for it, so I might as well right? lol

6. chrisp28103

I have a mac computer, and I tried to use the one click root application that I have downloaded on my mac right now, but it didn't work because of signature problems, I wasn't really sure what that meant or how to get around it. Do you guys have any mac friendly solutions for rooting my captivate 2.2?

7. chrisp28103

Finally...got it. I'm not really sure what I did but I tried a lot of different ways and I think my problem was that I didn't have busybox installed...hahhh, woops. I bought the pro version of titanium backup so that I could freeze the apps instead of uninstalling like you said, but I still have the icons in my applications grid. I was just wondering if there's any way to get rid of those icons, because they've been frozen they're just wasting space. If you guys know that'd be tight, thanks
    CP

8. chrisp28103

wow nevermind im ******ed, I figured it out. Thanks for the help though guys, I appreciate it.

9. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Hehe, glad you got it worked out.