• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate - Xperia

My opinion is that if the GPS rumors are stopping the OP from the Captivate..don't let it! From my experience..the GPS takes longer to lock (sometimes 1-2 mins), but once it does, it's very accurate and holds the lock well. I did a 25 mile drive on my tracks and even when zooming way in, the line is right on the road. Coming from the incredible innacurate GPS of the n97 my opinion is that people are spoiled and thing the GPS on a phone should work like a top of the line Tom Tom or Garmin..or whatever. So I think maybe the Captivate's GPS lock time may be due to a bad supl server not allowing agps to really work

Upvote 0
Most of the people here that claim to actually have a working gps, say it works but it just takes a lot longer to log in

then others(such as myself) can never use the gps because it is not accurate
In the middle of the two extremes, you have a really flaky gps that works decently then works horribly

I actually like the 2.1 that is coming to Xperia in the near future
granted it is not 2.2 but i am only on 2.1 with the captivate
so i dont really know what i am missing with Froyo cuz i never experienced it

I stand by what i said in my earlier post...get an xperia or check out
WP7....

if u want a captivate...that samsung focus is getting some rave reviews
and to me its like a captivate only without Android....

I just really hope the GPS is up to snuff in that phone lol

Upvote 0
No. You are on-contract with AT&T for 2 years. You are not tied to that specific phone for 2 years. There is nothing stopping you from buying any unlocked GSM full-price, from AT&T, an online retailer, or eBay, moving your SIM card over, and happily enjoying your new phone. At any time.

That's the beauty of GSM, and one of the reasons I am with AT&T and not Verizon. People are so used to the Verizon "rape the consumer" way of doing things that sometimes they can't fathom how the rest of the world (which is almost entirely GSM) handles cell phones.

my friend has taught me that as long as i have five lines on my phone, i can just purchase the phone at 2 year pricing....

Granted, i would have to change my plan into a family plan
but i initially had an Xperia/Captivate(thirty day exchange)
on the line i signed up with....

I wanted to try an iphone 4...so i got it on the second line..
got bored with the iphone 4
so i sold it and made more money on it then i actually spent

now with line 3 i have the backflip
and once WP7 comes out, i will have line four

I will then be selling my captivate for hopefully 300(although, my friend only made 260 off it) and then my backflip for 100 bucks!

All in all, my plan has the lowest minutes possible because
90% of my friends are at & t customers and i have the favorite
five for the others who aren't

with texting and data package

my plan is like 119 i think before employee discounts

Upvote 0
Before you go spreading lies, you'd better get your information correct.

If you are so certain, post a link that proves the GPS does not work.

I want to see proof there will be no fix.

Post proof of what you are spreading.

I say this is sour grapes. You just don't like your phone.

Yes some users are having issues, but not all phones are affected.

You really need to take it down a level. While you may be lucky enough to have working phones, this is not the norm. It's been established for a long time that the majority of users have dysfunctional GPS on their captivates. No amount of the lucky few jumping up and down with "well my phone is fine so you're all liars!" is going to change that. We (the afflicted) acknowledge that yes, there are some (minority of) phones that appear to be fine. Why can't the lucky few acknowledge that there's obviously enough of a problem (collected statistically and also just from obvious tidal waves of complaints on this and all other forums) to constitute there being a GPS issue?

Upvote 0
Lol, exactly. If there is no GPS issue, then why has Samsung claimed they are going to fix it?

Besides it's pretty stupid to say, "Mine works, so the other million something of you are all idiots."

Now back to the discussion at hand. How many of you who talk crap about about the X10 have actually tried one? I mean more than for 10 minuts in the AT&T store. Most people are just basing their compairision off of raw (and partially inaccurate) specs. Also, the X10 is still running on 1.6. What would the Captivate be like on 1.6. Once the X10 gets 2.1 it will be closer to par with he Captivate. The captivate may be a bit faster and have a bit stonger graphics capabilities, but the X10 will have fully working features.

The big downer of the issue is that it has been Several months (Especially for the Galaxy S Euro) and there is still no fix, and still no word on the problem. No one seems to have been able to pinpoint exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

Upvote 0
my GPS is working. It takes 10 seconds to lock and then it gets more accurate in about 1 minute. It shows me my exact location!

i have my capti with cognition 2.1.6. I don't know about gps fixes or anything because when i flashed with cognition everything started to work better ^_^

i don't know if it's different but i'm in california... i don't think the GPS reception should be better here than in other state, right? well.... i won't talk about what i don't know :p

Upvote 0
i agree,,, the x-10 is a paperweight and nothing more,, it is so bad,, rogers is letting me keep it ( they didnt even want it back) and sending me a captivate,,,

so i cant wait till ups shows up next week,,,

if the weakest point is the gps,, that will be a breath of fresh air from the x-10.. and since when does Sony stand behind anything,,,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones