Car Audio and Droid ErisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. ndsustudent

ndsustudent Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What kind of set ups do you guys have in your vehicles? I am looking for a new head unit that will play music via either blue tooth or USB. And I think I read this in an earlier post but it would be great if I could do hands free calling at the same time.

Any ideas or suggestions for me?

Advertisement
  2. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I bought a car stereo with an AUX input. USB would be ideal though because it would keep your phone charged.

3. pacedrum69

pacedrum69 Well-Known Member

i also have a sterio w aux.....plugs in the same way as my ipod....works great... usb would be way cooler tho for the charging aspect

4. Rossco_Pee

Rossco_Pee Well-Known Member

If you don't have a stereo with an auxillary input, you could get a hands free car kit. I have one called a Jabra Cruiser. I connects via bluetooth and you can run the music from your phone via a built in FM transmitter. I got my Jabra from amazon for around 60 bucks.

PS- It also transmits your calls hands free over your car stereo via bluetooth.

5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

The radio in my car also has a aux input. My girlfriend's car doesn't so she uses the Motorola T505 bluetooth speaker phone adapter thing. It will let you play your music or talk through the cars radio.

6. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

If you're not using bluetooth and do not have an aux/usb input, I would suggest looking into an FM Modulator (not an FM transmitter).

7. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I use an old fashioned cassette adapter. Does its job. Though I'll probably upgrade the radio to get an actual AUX in jack.

8. homer169

homer169 Well-Known Member

Whats a cassette? J/K
    I've got AUX input on the back of my radio. The sound is amazing.

9. ndsustudent

So it sounds like I need to find a bluetooth compatible deck. If I do that then if I read right, do hands free calling too?

10. ascasc

ascasc Member

I have a Clarion CX400 with usb out of the back to my glove compartment. It will play & charge my Eris but I use it mostly for my Ipod. You can control the tracks from the stereo face. The next model up has bluetooth. I had an Alpine with my old car which I loved but they don't make a reasonably priced double DIN model.

11. jps

jps Well-Known Member

12. zurin

zurin Member

I had it set up in my truck on an Alpine iDA-X305s. There are at least two options that should work with any deck with USB, aux, or both.

Option 1 - USB - pro's: ID tags on stereo face, tracking on stereo, phone gets charged. con's: SD card has to be mounted to stereo. Anything that uses on the SD card will not work. Are you using navigator and want TTS directions? tough luck.

Option 2 - 3.5mm aux: pro's use your stereo as a hands free kit, TTS over stereo, automatically stops music when taking a call. con's: use two different devices to control music, need a second cable to charge phone, if you are a sleek/neat freak like me everything seems cumbersome.

In the end I opted to keep my devices separate. I installed a 320gb portable hard drive in my glove compartment and have a Jabra visor speaker for hands free.

jps and ndsustudent like this.
  13. ndsustudent

14. jps

jps Well-Known Member

lol, i too have a soft spot for pioneer head units. ever since the one with the dolphins in the early 2000s.

welcome.

15. SuperStuff

SuperStuff Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried the bluetooth stereo cassette adapter? My '96 Audi A4 still has a cassette and I jack into it with wired adapter, but I was just curios if anybody used a bluetooth specific adapter yet.