• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Car AUX Input Issues

After trying Sound About, I am convinced it is NOT a solution to this problem. It can help you to force the audio output to the aux port, but there are all kinds of other issues.

Off to trying more cables. I am thinking of trying 2 cables as such: 3.5mm -> RCA -> 3.5mm which may be similar to the 'duct-tape' method described above.

Upvote 0
I have been watching this post as I have the same issue with my Droid 4S phone and an aux input cord that I soldered up into my 2000 Subaru Outback's stereo. I feel this has to be an impedance issue where the phone doesn't uncouple the internal speaker and switch over to the aux input into the vehicle. I was about ready to buy some small resistors at Radio Shack, when I saw an inline cord with volume control. It cost me about $11. I plugged this new device into my phone and then plugged my aux input cord into that and it worked! Nice job to all the posts above who did all the experimentation for me. Save yourself the trouble of soldering in some resistors and buy a cable. thanks to all

Upvote 0
I have been watching this post as I have the same issue with my Droid 4S phone and an aux input cord that I soldered up into my 2000 Subaru Outback's stereo. I feel this has to be an impedance issue where the phone doesn't uncouple the internal speaker and switch over to the aux input into the vehicle. I was about ready to buy some small resistors at Radio Shack, when I saw an inline cord with volume control. It cost me about $11. I plugged this new device into my phone and then plugged my aux input cord into that and it worked! Nice job to all the posts above who did all the experimentation for me. Save yourself the trouble of soldering in some resistors and buy a cable. thanks to all

Thanks for the info. This sounds encouraging! I will need to try it.

Any chance you've got the exact model number for the cable that worked for you?

Upvote 0
Looking for a solution to my problem I came across this forum. I read everything carefully and this is what I came up with. First of all...same scenario, 2008 Saab 93 and Galaxy S3. After trying other phones and cables, I cam to the conclussion the problem lies in te radio and it's "auto detect" mode for the auxilary jack. You may try other recommendations on this forum but I followed one suggestion and it worked. I simply downloaded "**********" from Google Play Store and made sure that under the settings "Media Audio" I selected "Wired Headphones" and it simply works. I did however download the full application and paid the 2.99 but I feel it was worth it.
I also agree with the other posts that the sound is a bit lower than normal but good enough. I know there are many posts about modifying the cables for higher inpedence but I also think that there are many on here that need a quick and simple solution and this one works. My thanks goes to those that discovered it, I just simply want to simplify the solution for others.

Upvote 0
I've been having this problem since the first galaxy note, and my two s3s in my Acura TSX. Are you guys charging your phones while doing this? It works fine in my car, or a C63 amg, till the moment i plug my phone in to charge. If i charge the phone, the music switches to the phone speakers. I found a solution soon after i bought my note in match 2012, which is putting the phone on vibrate before charging the phone. Over time i learned, that if i do leave the phone on ring, and i receive a message, the sound switches to the phone. So everytime the phone makes a system sound, the music resumes on the phone speaker.

So, whatever you guys are getting, i only get that when charging the phone

Upvote 0
Having a similar problem with my s3. I only hear music from 3 of my 4 car speakers. front right speaker has no sound. However, when I plug in my iPhone 4s, it works fine. My s3 works fine with earphones. This only started happening about a month ago. I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla

BTW, still amazed that everyone here has a Saab. haha.

Upvote 0
If what you did is consistent then yes you are on to it. Really does sound like an impedance issue. That would add some impedance to it (And reverse the polarity which the phone and stereo may or may not care about).

Can't help you all though. Either buy some sort of adapter for a cable (Or find one with higher impedance, buy a new car stereo or a new phone. or wait for a software upgrade (May never happen). Or do without.

You could cut a cable in half and reverse the polarity and twist tie the ends back together just to see if polarity has something to do with it.

The problem is an impedance one and I have it on a BMW 535 with a s3 mini.

The problem was really bad with tunedin radio, as every time the signal dropped, the phone would shut off the headset socket, and then tunedin app would think that the headset had been removed and then stop also.....and not try to find the signal again.

My solution.

Get a 2 to 1 jack splitter...the ones that let you have 2 headphones off one player socket.

Plug this in to your aux socket and then plug I a cheap pair of headphones into
one socket, with the other going to your phone.

The phone then always things that it is connected to a headset and thus does not switch the headset on and off all the time.

Final part of the jigsaw...get the sound about app mentioned in this thread from play store....but do not use the head set recognition bit as suggested....

Use it to lock the media to the headset....and the phone to blue tooth...this then means that if you have a call it plays on the Bluetooth, but then goes back to headset at the end of the call....

Upvote 0

Do you have a problem with your Samsung galaxy s3 phone that will not play through your AUX input in your car radio?
If your phone plays through ear phones without a problem
but not through your stereo using the AUX input
then this cable impedance adapter will correct the problem.
The components are built into the connectors.
The cable audio converter is 2.5 feet long 1/8 inch (3.5mm) connector
Plug at one end and Receptacle at the other end.
You may need a 1/8 inch (3.5mm) Plug to Plug extension cable if you don

Upvote 0
One of my daughters has a Samsung s2 and I just got the Samsung s3 and was hoping that I didn't have the trouble my daughter had in playing her audio in our 2005 Chrysler Town and Country minivan. When I plugged into our audio in aux in the car, I couldn't get the car to switch to auxillary input mode to play the music. I was about to order the suggested bluetooth products mentioned here, but, thankfully, my youngest daughter, who also bought the s3 and was able to play music from hers through the car's speakers, pointed out to me that you have to turn up the volume on the phone when it's hooked up to the car via cable since a separate volume control works with the speaker cable in this case. I tried it and it worked! I don't know why the car's system doesn't even acknowledge the phone being connected and at least be playing it quieter before I maximized the volume on the phone after the connection. The volume has to be ramped up every time I connect it to the car's speaker system. It doesn't play at max volume though since the car's volume is controlling output volume. I hope this helps some others here, albeit late for many of you.

Upvote 0
It must only affect the newer model SAABs - I have a 2005 9-3 Aero (2ltr Sports Turbo - Hirsch upgraded - o-yeah!!). The inbuilt stereo has Auxiliary setting, but the mp3 connector was an optional extra, and is located in the drivers arm rest / storage area by the hand brake.

No auto detect, so I don't have any issues with my connection.

SAAB have a pretty complex wiring system using fibre optics,also a multitude of different audio options from the factory so switching the stereo out is a pretty costly option. But if you want to get excellent bluetooth connectivity etc you could push the boat out and go for this:

Kenwood Electronics UK Ltd. | SAAB > SAAB-DABOP

Upvote 0
Hello all, I just wanted to let you know that I took a look at this thread as I was having the same issue with the S5. Here are a couple different solutions that worked for me:

1. Plug one end of your AUX cord into your phone and start playing music. Once music is playing , then plug cable into car. If you are playing with the stock music player you will have to do this at the start of every song so not so great there but if you are playing with Spotify, then I only need to complete this step once.

2. I purchased an AUX cable with volume control this weekend and it has completely fixed my issue. Not sure what exactly it is called and it doesn't matter what brand, but if you want into Radioshack and give them this explanation they will be able to hook you up with what you need: "A male to female end AUX cord with volume control." This way you will plug the volume control cable into your car or phone (doesn't matter which) and then your male to male end AUX cable will plug into that and complete the connection between car and phone. Turn the volume all the way up on the volume control and then you can control the volume with your phone or car like you were just using the one AUX cable.

Upvote 0
2014 Subaru Legacy. +1 for this issue. Very aggravating. AUX works with iPhones no problem.

I would imagine the volume control AUX cables work as they have a resister built-in to them?

Has anyone tried a 4 post aux cable, the one with 3 lines on the metal jack instead of 2? I know one is for video, but wondering if the extra length of the metal end would help with this issue? The headphones that came with my s5 are 4 post, my aux cable is 3 post.

Upvote 0
2014 Subaru Legacy. +1 for this issue. Very aggravating. AUX works with iPhones no problem.

I would imagine the volume control AUX cables work as they have a resister built-in to them?

Has anyone tried a 4 post aux cable, the one with 3 lines on the metal jack instead of 2? I know one is for video, but wondering if the extra length of the metal end would help with this issue? The headphones that came with my s5 are 4 post, my aux cable is 3 post.

My AUX that I have has the three rings and it dint work with the S5 without the volume control adapter. My girlfriends iPhone and my iPad worked without it but I think it's because they don't have the "neat" auto detect feature that these Samsung phones seem to have.

Upvote 0
Here is a more detailed look at this issue, looks pretty legitimate. I see this same thread was mentioned earlier, but this particular post seems to point to the precise reasoning behind why the electronic switching acts the way it does between Samsung and AUX devices:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7783316&postcount=19

My question for Samsung would be: Is the "auto-detect" feature relying on hardware or software to measure impedance? Is this a software bug which could be patched, or a fundamental flaw in the hardware design of the Samsung output jacks that may be addressed in future models?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones