• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Car Aux input vs. Bluetooth handsfree

wynand32

Jan 11, 2011
I'm trying to figure out if this is an Android issue or one that's specific to the Epic... Basically, when I'm in my car and have my Epic plugged into the Aux input (for whatever audio app), and a call comes in, the phone stays connected via Aux rather than switching to the Bluetooth handsfree that's configured. If I unplug the Aux connection, then Bluetooth picks up and I can then talk/hear over the Bluetooth connection.

How I imagine it working is how it works on my Pre: listen to an audio app over Aux, call comes in, audio app pauses and phone picks up over Bluetooth, call ends, audio app starts up again and connection goes back to Aux. Seamless.

So, is this an Android thing, a 2.1 thing, an Epic thing, or some combination? Because it's certainly not acceptable.

Reactions: bzkfrl
I have a similar problem when I drive my wife's car because her stereo doesn't have bluetooth, forcing me to use an aux input. When a call comes through, I hit the bluetooth button on the phone. C'est la vie.

Okay, so, you're saying that if I hit the Bluetooth button on the phone as opposed to hitting it on the car, it'll transfer to Bluetooth? If so, then that's good to know although it's not really preferable, since it distracts from driving.

It seems like it's less distracting to pull the plug, since one can do that without looking.

Upvote 0
Where do you have your phone when you drive? I have a dock that holds it on the dash above my radio so it doesn't distract. Now when I text on it while I'm drinking a frap and trying to remove eye gunk, that's somewhat distracting from driving.

The problem with removing the aux plug is inserting the plug back in when you're done with your call while driving. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones