Car charger experience w/GPS on?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide This Topic's Starter

We had a lot of discussions in this forum about car and wall chargers and their current rating (<1A, >1A, etc). What I

Advertisement
  2. Jbeabs

Jbeabs Member

I use the Sosche (sp?) 2 usb adapter that i got from amazon. As long as I only have the phone plugged into the adapter there is no issue charging the phone while using gps +/- blue tooth. Im not sure about the radio in the background as I dont have a aux port in my truck.

3. twister6

Good feedback. I also heard a positive feedback from AJ_EVO about this device. Just placed an order from Amazon for it as well :) Also, I called Scosche tech support and they told me this dual USB charger is rated 1A per port, but current is shared so if you plug in only one device you will be able to use 2A. That confirms with your reply where you said "as long as I only have the phone plugged..." I'm pretty sure with GPS and BT you will need a little more than 1A to keep the phone at full charge. Hopefully this Amazon.com: Scosche Dual USB Car Charger: Cell Phones & Service charger is the answer!!!

4. OrderFromChaos

OrderFromChaos Well-Known Member

The PowerJolt 2 chargers my phone while using GPS, bluetooth, and music (sometimes streaming other times just the player), and the charge on my phone increases. My display is set to the medium setting using the power widget. Perhaps you're experiencing the software bug relating to GPS?

5. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

My cheap-o $5 charger from the dollar store typically has my battery charged by 10% more when I get home after an hour drive using navigation (well maps) and playing music either through cubed or pandora.

6. twister6

@SgtBaxter: what is a current rating of your charger? are you sure you have GPS antenna on? nothing would surprise me now since I see right-and-left people having better luck with no-brand name $1 products...

@OrderFromChaos: hmm, now I'm puzzled. How long is your usual commute? I see the consistent behavior with mine on typical 1hr drives. Also, wouldn't the same GPS sw bug affect you as well? I did recently updated my Google NAV/maps from Android Market. Not sure if the bug is with old pre-installed version or from the updated version? I guess at this point I shouldn't rule out a problem with my PowerJolt 2 itself.

7. OrderFromChaos

The average time for my commute is between 45 minutes and 1 hour. As you, I would assume the GPS issue would affect me as well, but I have not tried the test mentioned in that post since my battery has worked flawlessly for me. I doubt it makes any difference but I have not rooted or have done a reset on my phone. It gets turned off every couple of days, but GPS almost never gets turned off since it should only turn on when needed. One other thing, I haven't used the NAV and maps for a while (got the phone on the 19th) since I've just been going to work and back lately.:(

All my apps stay current on updates, at least according to AppBrain.

8. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

I have no clue what the current rating is, it was 5 bucks and USB, that's all I cared about. :)

Actually I don't think it was listed anyway. Come to think of I have no idea what brand or manufacturer it is either. Had 3 different ends that screw on to the end of the cord for the different USB plugs. I took it apart, the innards are pretty run of the mill. It's black, with silver down the middle and you can adjust the bend at the plug.

I'll stop in on the way home and see what brand it is, and if I can find out the specs.

Yes, I always run GPS through sats.

I like to use compass a lot too, with the display that gives you magnetic reading and GPS reading plus address range and speed where you are. I don't have bluetooth running though, least not until I get a bluetooth module installed on my stereo.

9. twister6

I hear ya. Since I will send my PowerJolt back to Amazon, I'm exchanging it for Scosche dual supply. I actually thought it would be a good idea to have a dual charger. Since I have dashboard mount for GPS use (and I use it mostly for Google traffic w/map rather than actual turn-by-turn navigation) I have 6ft usb cable already routed to dashboard/windshield where my car dock (Arkon) sits. But for occasions where I just want to charge up the phone, I can have another shorter usb cable going to my arm rest for more convenience. Either one of the usb connectors will be used, but not both at the same time so it will give me 2A.

Gee, I can't believe I spent over a week with this car charger research, buying and testing, etc. My wife already thinks I'm going nuts with this phone.

10. OrderFromChaos

I was going to go with the Scosche dual charger but when I looked it up it didn't seem to be available, anywhere. So I went the PowerJolt route. Like you, I liked the idea of have to charging ports, but I was impatient:) and I'm using the rear aux port (SUV) so not too many other devices would be plugged into it.

Haha, my girlfriend already expects me to do a ton of research for anything I buy. She knows I tend to be frugal and over analyze things, but I just use the excuse that it was pounded into me from my education.

11. Zumi

Zumi Well-Known Member

I have this charger and found it to make my battery run a bit hot while using the GPS.

Is this common for all car chargers?

12. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

13. twister6

@Napalm: I don't think anything is wrong with my usb cable (6ft with angle connector form ezeStand) since I was able to use it to charge up DX and even running with GPS without discharging a phone (but not charging up to a full 100%). But when I add making phone calls to this equation battery gets discharged. I will try it tomorrow with a shorter usb cable, the original one from moto we got with DX purchase. It just too short to reach windshield, but I will still activate GPS receiver to turn a full load on. There could also be a problem with Griffin charger activating some overload protection, but I don&#8217;t think DX should be sinking more than 2A of current?!? From your PM it sounds like you are using 2x 1a Scosche charger as well. I'm starting to see a common thread of people using this charger without problems. I should have it in a week from Amazon to test is out, or might just stop by Walmart to buy and to test it out and than return back.

14. twister6

sh!t, apparently my previous test of DX charging up OK in the car was done with moto's original cable, not the aftermarket one I just got. Used moto's micro-usb cable this morning with GPS/BT/Phone and after 1hr of driving battery was right at 100% with Griffin PowerJolt 2A charger. Gotta get a new usb cable than...