Car charger... fast battery drainAccessories

Last Updated:

1. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have finally found a car charger that works. I think. I got a Schosche Revive II and used it today on a two hour trip. The charger is made for iPad and is rated to push 2.1 amps. I started the trip with a 52% charge. I used GPS and Last.fm the whole way. I ended the trip at 56% battery. I guess I can understand the small increase in charge but I don't understand why it dropped so quickly after taking it off the car charger. Within an hour it dropped to 21% with zero use in a high signal strength area. This has been my experience with every car charging solution I have tried. What is different about car charging that causes this? 2.1 amps should be capable of charging this device even while under heavy use. Am I wrong?

Advertisement
  2. kryptoniteman

kryptoniteman Member

Dead wrong!

Don't go over 1amp....you're actually damaging you battery. Go to the 5 and below store and get the 850 milliamps car charger and the 500 milliamp wall charger. $9 solution

3. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm afraid you do not understand how electricity works. Just because a charger is rated to provide 2.1 amps does not mean it will push 2.1 amps into a device and fry it. The charger provides whatever the device calls for. Think about your wall circuits. You have 15 amp, 20 amp, 30 amp, and so on. Most of your electronic devices are pulling less than 5 amps. Using your reasoning, everything but your vacumm cleaner would blow up when you plugged it in. Now, if I had a 10 volt charger instead of 5 volt, I'd have a problem.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, it's the GPS that sucks the battery down and it doesn't seem to register while it's being charged. I charged the phone in the car all the way back last night and it went up by 40% and didn't drop after taking it off the charger.