Car Charger for Moment - wrong one from store?Tips

Last Updated:

1. nickib

nickib Active Member This Topic's Starter

I purchased a car charger from an independent Sprint store for my SPH-M900 moment. When the guy scanned it, the price came up $5.00. He said, "oh, it's okay, it's the right charger in the wrong box." I figured he should know what he is doing (that was my first mistake) so I went on my way. When I looked at the charger, it is a model #MOVR9PC, which I believe is for a Motorola phone. When I finally found that charger online, it says it is compatible with a Moment 1350.

I am nervous about using this with my phone. When I called the 800# for tech support, they told me that right model # is PVX8720C and to return this one to the store for an exchange.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not this is okay to use with my phone? I have been told that "universal" ones and non-brand-name chargers "may" be fine, or they "may" kill your phone. Deciding between a $25-30 car charger or the $100 deductible to replace my phone, I will go for the Sprint car charger. Please help!
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Is it micro USB? If it's micro USB, it'll work. It doesn't matter if it's Motorola, or even if it's Bob's Discount Auto brand. If it's micro USB, and it's not assembled by some guy in his basement with a soldering gun, you're fine. If it's MINI USB, however, it just plain won't fit in the charging jack of your phone.

3. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

Foodman's right. I bought a motorola micro USB charger and it works fine with my moment.

4. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

I've been using a charger for the Motorola/Nextel i576 (part number MOTV8/V9) for a couple of months without any problem.

5. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

All the chargers and USB cables from a Motorola Q9H work for the Moment as well.

6. Mw182006

Mw182006 Well-Known Member

People still spend $30 on a charger these days? Eeek...no offense. I just grabbed a (motorola) car-charger off Monoprice.com for about $3 shipped!

7. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

My personal preference is to avoid dedicated car chargers altogether. Instead, get a universal power point with a usb port and use any old micro usb cable you want. I found a nifty 2 1000ma ea usb ports + a power port all in the space of a single power point plug. I can charge my phone (micro usb) and pna (mini usb) while still having the power port available. $9 delivered from Taiwan. Be aware that most of the chargers out there are 500ma and may have problems when charging and using at the same time, especially with a depleted battery. The Moment isn't too bad, but my wifes Pre will discharge if you use a 500ma plug while using it for nav. My old Axim x51v wouldn't even take a charge with a 500ma charger if the battery was lower than ~30%, even if it was turned off.

8. kbrn

kbrn Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money buying chargers..

I Use this instead
    Code (Text):
    1. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerjolt-dual-universal
    U can charge your ipod or almost any cellphone that has a USB data cable
    And best of all you don't have to carry 1245(Being sarcastic) chargers for your devices and with the plus that looks cool!!
    Check it out!!

P.S. Walmart sell it also.