Car charger strong enough for GPS and charging at same time?

Last Updated:

1. Uker

Uker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is the stock Verizon/Motorola car charger capable of fully charging the Droid X and running a GPS app while driving?

If not, which chargers should I be looking to buy - hopefully one that does
    not fry the phone.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

it will be no charger thats going to charge it to the max, keep it there and let you use a power draining feature such as gps. it will maintain AROUND the same charge as before you started using the gps but it wont charge it to the max. unless its something different with the droid x...and i wouldnt be surprised :)

3. 2009m6

2009m6 Well-Known Member

that is a very good question. i have a actual stock outlet in my car so i dont have this issue.Though your right on your idea....using the gps is counter-productive while attempting to charge the device through the car lighter. what i would recommend, really depends on what your priority is. Mine would be to have the phone receive ample power, so i would buy a car lighter to house outlet converter(or similar device) rated at 110 volts output. This should provide the device with enough juice to charge efficiently while using the most battery dependent function. hope that helps you

edit: make sure the fuses in your vehicle are good to go, one of my friends had an issue regarding this. I figured out it was his aftermarket "Work" on the car, which had made his fuses blow whenever he plugged anything into the car lighter.

4. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member

5. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

i dont use the cigarette lighter one (dont have one) i use the outlets in my car that you plug the car charger into. cigarette lighter holes but not made for...lighting cigarettes lol!
    im assuming that what you are speaking of...most modern cars have this outlet (not sure of the proper name for it).
    ever way, it will never be enough to keep the phone fully charged and use gps.

6. rolandct

rolandct Member

I used my X for GPS, music (3.5 jack) and bluetooth calls on an hour+ trip this past Sunday. It charge but only a little. It also got quite hot, but I am sure that's from being hit by the sun while in the car dock as well.

7. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

How hard could it be it seems good enough to charge up and use my Garman GPS device.

8. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Can a mode please move this to the "accessories" sub-section?