car charger that charges as fast as wall charger?

Last Updated:

1. demarco5

demarco5 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What car charger can i order that charges as fast as the wall charger, can someone provide a link?

Advertisement
  2. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Find any cigaret lighter adapter that provides a usb power support then just buy another cable, should be out under $10. USB power is a stander thing therefore, wall or car the USB outlet provides the same 500ma of current.

As always I could be proven wrong, but this is what my research has indicated.

3. demarco5

yeah i heard different like you need 800 or something ugh

4. ginigma

ginigma Well-Known Member

I guess that I get to prove you wrong. :rolleyes:

The Moto supplied wall charger puts out 850mA and the car charger I ordered is good for 1000mA. While the spec for USB is 500mA, that's usually what a port on a computer delivers, but even then a computer can deliver more, depending on drivers.

5. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Well there you have it. Either way, you should be able to go to your local electronics store and find a usb car outlet that puts out enough power just look for 850ma or higher. I did see the 850ma shortly after i posted earlier. It took me a while to find the wall charger, since I always use the computer.

6. demarco5

soooooooooo what do i need to order for my car to get the same fast charging speed? lol

7. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

I have been looking around to see if I can find a charger that fits your needs, can't find one that give me the current ratings though. The individual that has the 1000ma charger above might be able to help better.

8. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

This is an option.

Provides 1000mA and is under $20. You can probably find cheaper options if you look around.

9. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

My reason for suggesting the USB outlet instead of a dedicated charger is that it could serve more uses than just charging your droid. I have one and find all kinds of things to charge with it.

10. prophetben

prophetben New Member

11. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

12. Sensisnow

Sensisnow Member

I just picked these up from Monoprice and they work great! Depending on shipping costs, you're only looking at $5-$10 at most.

Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black

USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable - 3ft

Might as well pick up some longer cables for the wall charger while you're at it too.

USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable - 10ft

13. dmgabe

dmgabe Well-Known Member

Don't think you are gonna find a sweeter deal. I might pick these up for myself. Good find!

14. Jorenm

Jorenm Active Member

I'm wondering why that charger isn't for iPhone...?

15. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

Don't forget to check your old devices. I have a MICUSBVPC charger branded Verizon and I have no idea why. But it's the right one for the Droid too.

This cable is available dirt cheap online unbranded (no logo) but I don't know what the specs are for power rating. Sorry.

If you live near a Target search online for CLAUSBBLK (also on Amazon) and see if that is in stock anywhere. It looks cool but again no specs. But if you live near a store that has one you can see for yourself.

16. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Motorola P513 Car Charger says "will provide express battery charging"
    I just ordered one from Amazon for about $9 after CA tax and S&H. Motorola sells it for $29.99.

$6.00 free shipping wall charger here. I didn't order it b/c I ordered a similar one from the same seller as my car charger.

Will update when I recieve em to let you know they work. I don't see why they wouldn't they're OEM Motorola.

17. DR0ID

DR0ID Well-Known Member

ordered this as well, got it in today...works perfect and i ordered 2 of each...shipped under $6 :D

18. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

I get concerned about the overall life of my battery when I start hearing 'Fast Charging'. Everything I've read about Li-ion batteries is that they shouldn't be fast charged and it will degrade the chemistry of the electrolyte (calcify it I think they said) and cause it not to hold as full of a charge or the charge goes away faster.

I may be wrong, but I've been reading this stuff in science journals and stuff written by John Goodenough (inventer of Li-ion batteries)