• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Car charger underpowered

chris98891

May 16, 2010
Hey everybody, i have the verizon universal microUSB charger with the usb port as well. It won't keep my phone charged.

If i run dailyroads voyager with trapster, or if i run the gps alone, the phone will not last more than an hour and a half to 2 hours, while plugged in.

So heres how it went coming back from the beach. Phone was half charged when i got in the car. Plugged in the car charger, put it in mount, and turned on GPS to take me home. Well, about 2 hours in, the phone just turns off. I leave it off for about 10 minutes, turn it back on, and get a "battery below 6% warning". i then have to leave it charging with nothing running before its usable again.

So does anybody have any ideas what charger would work better? No verizon rep in the world could give me a power rating on their car charger, but i figure for the price, i'll take it back and get a 1-$2 charger since neither would do the job well.

Reactions: chris98891
Upvote 0
thanks for the quick responses everybody! i'll return the verizon one when i get home. has anybody used one that has an extra USB port on it for friends phones? I was actually thinking about installing a USB hub into my car, but i just don't trust it to provide enough power.

Something like a USB hub will only charge at the standard USB rate, FYI. That's half of what it will take to keep your phone charged while using intensive apps.

Upvote 0
This cable causes the phone to charge as AC. The phone will not think it's connected to a USB port and will not limit itself to 500ma.

Micro USB Charging Cable (5ft)

you should note that plugging too many devices into a usb port can draw too much power from the motherboard of the computer and possibly damage it. thats the reason for having the phone, and other devices, limit themselves to 500mA charging while connected to a data port.

i may pick up a few of these to use with my 1A car usb charger though :)

Upvote 0
you should note that plugging too many devices into a usb port can draw too much power from the motherboard of the computer and possibly damage it. thats the reason for having the phone, and other devices, limit themselves to 500mA charging while connected to a data port.

i may pick up a few of these to use with my 1A car usb charger though :)

Exactly. That cable is a good way to fry a USB port. Great for making older standard 1A chargers put out full current again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones