Car Charger/Wall Charger CompatibilityAccessories

Last Updated:

1. KMacBlue

KMacBlue Member This Topic's Starter

I have an extra wall charger and car charger left over from my palm pre (OEM). However, the guy at the Sprint Store informed me that I shouldn't use the palm pre wall or car charger with the Evo as it may not have the right ampage/voltage. Then he proceeds to sell me a Universal Car Charger, in fact the same universal car charger they told me would work with the pre last year. Am I getting ripped off here? Will the pre car/wall charger work just fine with the Evo? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Bic101

Bic101 Well-Known Member

I have the same question. Will the car charger I use for the Samsung M520 also work for the HTC Evo? Or for that matter, any micro-USB connector charger? The official Sprint web site says the one they use for HTC Evo also works with: [BlackBerry

3. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member

i have tried chargers from other phones including my gold gps and its HIT OR MISS>...even the EVO chargrs i ordered on ebay that are cheap and generic are hit or miss.....kinda sucks

4. bgro

bgro Member

I used a generic micro usb cable (that I used for my Curve 8530) to connect to my laptop and it did not work with the EVO. I was pretty suprised but as soon as I used the cable the EVO came with it worked. Gunna try out all my other micro usb chargers tomorrow.

5. Ramer84015

Ramer84015 Well-Known Member

I'm using the wall charger that I got from Sprint for my Pre. It's working just fine for me. Fully charged my Evo in about 3 hours and I left it plugged in all night, no ill effects that I can see.

6. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

maybe it needs one of those cables that have sync and data capabilities?

i hope the EVO isn't tricky like the RAZRs, i just bought three micro usb cables from monoprice

7. zion800

zion800 New Member

Ah- I was just about to buy those Monoprice cables, along with a car charger and ac plug. Let me know how that works out for you trancerit.

BTW- here is the car charger and here is the wall plug. I'd love to know peoples' experiences with those products as well....

Thanks.

8. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

Tagged - I'm interested too. i bought a generic cigarette lighter to usb adapter and was planning on using that and monoprice micro usb cables to power up in my car.

9. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

i'll be getting my EVO on Tuesday, i'll update this thread with a reply if they work. I'll test them plugging them into the USB port on the computer, from a wall charger, and from my Belkin USB car charger adapter. If I don't reply, just PM and remind me :)

10. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

FWIW,

Factory cable works with Belkin Dual USB Cigarette Lighter Adapter
    EVO charges using Nexus One USB cable also

11. dgeezer

dgeezer Member

I've successfully used the wall charger that came with my pre as well as the Sprint brand car charger that I got with the pre. I have also used a monoprice car cigarette to usb adapter with a monoprice micro usb cable which seems to work fine.

12. Travelmind

Travelmind Member

Dgeezer.. How did you get the Pre charger to work... I tired and it does not seem to fit the EVO connection.

13. Travelmind

Travelmind Member

I thought I better try it again and sure enough it worked... that is cool....

14. JMac202

JMac202 Well-Known Member

I bought USB cigarette lighter adapter for the car that has two USB ports for 7 bucks. I had one before and it worked great for my phones and mp3 player. So I just use the stock cable and plug it in to it. I let my Dad borrow my original one when he was going out of town and he hasnt given it back since.

15. droid_head

droid_head Well-Known Member

16. rockman1117

rockman1117 Well-Known Member

Read the whole thread and form your own opinion.

As long as your charges provide 5V/1A (or less) you'll be fine by electrical standards. This is a freak case; it isn't even clear what happened to cause the failure besides these non-HTC CAR charger was used and was blamed to be the problem.

17. hellspawn69

hellspawn69 Member

My HTC Touch Pro had a 1a wall charger that a standard USB plug goes into.
    I plugged a generic micro USB cord that I bought originally for someones DROID into it and it worked fine to charge the EVO.

18. droid_head

Do what ya want. I think a lot of people don't want to believe cause they've already done it. Just don't cry if your Incredible dies one day. ;)

19. dmac250

dmac250 Well-Known Member

At work i have the usb from my blackberry curve...one of the newer ones...works flawlessly with the evo.....have a generic palm pre charger for the car and that works as well.

20. droid_head

good luck!

21. bling311

bling311 New Member

I know nothing will convince you of this given your personal experience which I totally understand, but there was either a problem with your charger or your phone.

As long as you use a charger that is 5V you should be fine. The current (mA) is almost meaningless. The phone will draw as much as it needs up to the max that the charger will provide. That's just physics.

If the charger is garbage and does not supply a well-regulated 5V, then I could see how it could fry your phone. But even still, a standard USB output voltage from a computer can range anywhere from 4.4V to 5.25V so there should be some wiggle room there from wall/car chargers as well.

22. droid_head

If there was an issue with my charger, my Storm would have been fried. Never had an issue with it adn used my car charger with it all the time. The chances of getting a bad phone are about one in a gazillion.
    There's a lot of people out there that switched from BB to Droid and are probably wondering if those little glitches are the beginning of the end.....

23. Fireace22

Fireace22 Active Member

I have been using a Motorola Razr V8/V9 car charger I got off ebay for $1.50 and it has been working fine.

24. bling311

bling311 New Member

All I can tell you is that there is something out of spec with the charger and/or phone if one 5v charger blows up your phone and another 5v charger does not. 5v is 5v, period. The phones may draw different currents (mA) based on the internal resistance of the phone's charging circuitry, but again, that is driven by the voltage applied to it.

Perhaps one phone is more forgiving than another in handling potential variations of voltages? I don't know. All I know is that if HTC's charger claims to be 5v and a blackberry charger claims to be 5v and one works and one does not, something is out of spec.

25. AHWagner

AHWagner Well-Known Member

So... should we buy non-Sprint chargers/cords? Is it worth it?