Car Charger

Last Updated:

1. clok1966

clok1966 Member This Topic's Starter

When I hook my droid up to my Car charger (ebay) or my old car charger (its the same USB connection) my DROID wont charge. In fact it only charges when hooked to a PC via USB or the AC power to USB that came with it (my generic AC to usb wont work either). Is versizon doing the same old crap and making it so aftermarket acc wont work?

Advertisement
  2. drabidea

drabidea Well-Known Member

I have been using my car charger from my LG Dare since I got my Droid. I haven't had a problem.

3. TheSchneidster

TheSchneidster Well-Known Member

Got a RocketFish car charger (HERE) for Christmas. Works great.

4. clok1966

clok1966 Member This Topic's Starter

I wish I knew, My old phone was a DARE also and its old charger wont charge my DROID. I picked one up off Ebay, no good. I went and picked up a new motorala one and it works. Maybe I'm just unlucky it seems as others are using generic ones. Very strange.

5. Zynix

Zynix New Member

It may have to do with the mA output of the charger. If you look at the sticker on the Moto OEM charger, you see the output is 5.1V & 850mA. Most USB-host ports only supply around 500mA, and a generic usb or car charger may supply even less.

On my old Q9c, if the battery got completely drained I couldn't charge it via USB, I had to use the OEM wall charger; I'm pretty sure the Droid is the same. Just a side effect of being a power-hungry device, I think.