car chargers & my hero

Last Updated:

1. blampars

blampars Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried two aftermarket car chargers for my hero now, both of which just just just barely charge my phone if I don't use it. Like less than 10% charged in 1 hour. Neither of them would hold my phone's charge steady while plugged in if I was using it. Just slowed the discharge rate somewhat.

I've got my eye on an HTC branded charger that you can look at here.
    Does anyone have it? Does it actually charge the phone? I would imagine it does considering it's from HTC, but I wanna make sure before I drop 26 dollars (with shipping) on a charger, only to find out it works the same as the cheapo ones.

-b

Advertisement
  2. kassdog

kassdog Well-Known Member

I have a rocketfish one and it works perfect.

3. fullcity

fullcity Active Member

I'm not sure why you're having problems, is your car running while charging? I have used two non-HTC chargers and both do the job just fine on my Hero. My main one is the Arkon universal mount with USB cable, and it can charge my Hero easily -- I was running Pandora just now with the screen on continuously, and it went from 65% charged to 75% in less than 10 minutes. I haven't tracked how fast my other charger works (a car charger from my Magellan GPS) but I did not notice any problems there either.

4. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a problem with the adapter in your car than the charger itself.

5. beejreit

beejreit Member

I too have noticed that the sprint car charger that worked for my blackberry, did not charge my hero. The hero would charge for a few minutes and then it wouldn't charge at all. My old BB wall charger works just fine on the hero. I purchased just a generic car to usb port adapter, and now plug the hero's usb cable into that. It works great. Got it from monoprice.com for like $2.

6. blampars

Yeah, my car is running while it's charging as I'm usually driving somewhere.
    Good Idea about trying the gps charger, I never thought of that. Will try that as soon as the GF brings it back to me heh.

I doubt it, it happened in both my car and in my work truck which is an 09 Ford F350, on both chargers. But what can you expect out of a 3.99 charger with free shipping? Not too much it seems haha.

I'm going to give my gps charger a try tomorrow and see how that works, I hardly use the thing anyway and it just might save me 20 dollars :D

7. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

I also have a rocketfish charger that works very well. I had originally purchased it for my touch pro and since they are both HTC with mini usb connector i assumed it would work and it does just fine.

8. blampars

Well I decided to try my garmin gps charger with my phone and it works like a champ. So problem solved and no extra money spent. Good deal heh.

9. Ed Dixon

Ed Dixon New Member

Cheap one I got on ebay works fine.

10. OxRod

OxRod Member

I paid 3 dollars and some cents for a generic car charger and it quickly charges my battery.

11. redram38

redram38 Well-Known Member

I bought a usb/car charger adapter. I pug it into the car and now I have 2 car and 2 usb plugins. They are pretty cheap on ebay and I can use the longer mini usb cable with the phone making it easier to hold and talk.