Car Charging Question

Last Updated:

1. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Verizon brand car charger but have never had the need to use it until this weekend when I traveled from NJ to VT for skiing. I had the navigation and pandora going the entire trip with the charger pluged in. However when I got there and unplugged the battery was almost completely dead.

Does the car charger not supply enough power to charge and run the droid with all the data and gps usage going?

Also the area where I was staying had very poor coverage and once the droid was charged it lost its charge very quickly. should I turn off sync in areas of poor coverage?

Advertisement
  2. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

1). The charger exceeds the amount of juice the phone can draw. You must not have been connected or a bad charger. Did you insure the charger plug in was lit up (red) and the white light by the phone plug in was lit up also?
    2) For known bad areas, stopping sync does little. Most juice is lost trying to find a tower, so airplane mode is your best option. Check every now and then for a signal by turning off airplane mode. Airplane mode stops your phone radio , with it in airplane mode it will not try to find a signal and drain your battery. Any phone will drain rapidly if no signal is found. The better the signal, the less drain you have.

3. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

the charger was lit "red"...however I did not check to see if the white charging led was on. I figured it must have been charging or it would have completely died on a 5 hour trip...although I'm sure coverage was in and out along the way so maybe that had something to do with it.

Thanks for the tip on the airplane mode!

4. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

My car charger shows red when it's not connected, so maybe it wasn't plugged in all the way? Mine goes to green while charging.

5. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

How does it lit up unplugged? Verizon. Charger is RED when plugged in.
    Yes 5 hours would have drained your battery. I did have a problem once where the white light was not on, I unplugged and replugged it in and got the white light.

Edit: I understand your charger now. Duh. It shows green plugged in with a load (phone connected) and red without a load (phone not connected). Verizon charger does not do that. My old phone charge would only light up if it had the load which is what made me learn to check for the white light after a drained Droid.