Car Cradle - What do YOU think?

Last Updated:

1. X3RO

X3RO Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. SlaveUnit

SlaveUnit Well-Known Member

Yeah seems pretty good. Just kinda big looking.

3. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

honestly I dont like the weighted kits. But if you like it, go for it!

4. virtus

virtus Well-Known Member

Does it activate the dock features? The description doesn't mention it.

5. X3RO

Nah it prob doesn't but I can just hit the GPS button. I really don't care bout that. Why don't you like weighted kits? Sadly this is my only other alternative if I don't like glass mounts.

6. virtus

virtus Well-Known Member

I don't like weighted clips either. They still slide around a lot and can be dangerous if you stop suddenly or get into an accident.

My last GPS had a plastic disc with adhesive on one side that I stuck on my dashboard. Then the windshield mount mounted onto that instead of the windshield.

7. X3RO

Hmm.. I drive a kinda expensive car.. and don't want to deal with adhesives. They always seem to ruin things. Plus its a lease, and I don't wanna get charged for ruining the dash lol.

Thanks all for the responses.

8. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Well-Known Member

This is the one I plan on getting. It's not sold online yet. So, I'll wait.

[​IMG]

9. T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

there is an array of mount for the DROID for your vehicle...everything from window suction mounts, magnetic mounts, cupholder mounts, and weighted mounts...hope this helps you guys out...:D

click the link for the examples -> Motorola DROID Vehicle Mounts...

10. Aquineas

Aquineas Active Member

I love the idea; it looks gorgeous and I almost jumped on it, until I considered the possibility of being out on a date and receiving a call. Having your phone right smack dab on the middle of the dashboard makes the incoming call a bit less.. shall we say.. "subtle." :D

11. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Well-Known Member

Bluetooth

12. Aquineas

Aquineas Active Member

True, but if the phone is on the windshield under the rearview mirror, you're going to get a nice photo and big, readable text of the name and number of whomever is calling you (assuming one has a photos/etc in their contacts), visible from the passenger seat.

13. NoVaDroid

NoVaDroid Member

Stuck mine on the windshield. Looks great and the phone is high and easy to reach. I also wantd to try to keep the windshield clutter free, but my dash is pretty tight so the weighted stand was a non-starter for me. Car dock works like a champ though. Although Motorola's product description stated the device comes with a travel charger, it does not. I use the one I purchased for the LG VX1000 Envy TOuch [which is now for sale] : )

14. waja

waja New Member

Make sure you read the descriptions closely. Some of the mounts tell you to "Place your Droid into the Custom Fit Cradle, attach the cradle" to the mount. At this time, the "Custom Fit Cradle" is $39.95 at this site and "out of stock".

15. Aquineas

Aquineas Active Member

Have you personally used that site before? I like their selection, but I couldn't find them in www.resellerratings.com. Unless they're affiliated with www.fommymusic.com

16. andrewdoane

andrewdoane Well-Known Member

I have the regular Verizon windshield mount and I've been very happy with it. I put it to the left so that it wouldn't interfere with my vision. The nice thing is that with Droid's battery life I don't need to use a power cable, so when I'm not using it I just pop it off and put it in the glovebox for the 99% of the time I don't need navigation.

17. X3RO

I think I am going to go with my first choice.

18. DrDroid

DrDroid Well-Known Member

I got the Motorola OEM Droid car mount, once docked it set the Droid to car mode. The only gripe I have about all these mounts is that you paid that much for it and they should come with a car power adapter. :( Now you have to shop around for the power adapter.

19. T0LLPHR33

i was just posting a link to show the array of actual DROID Car Mounts/Docks...but that's good info to know...:D

no i just searched for DROID Car Mount/Docks on google...i haven't used or purchased from any of them before...

20. DrDroid

DrDroid Well-Known Member

21. zcast

zcast Member

If you like to keep things clean and professional looking, here are a few suggestions.

First, get yourself a VSM (Vehicle Specific Mount) made for your car. These are custom made metal brackets that attach to already existing screw terminals behind your radio/dash (no extra drilling required).

They look like this:

[​IMG]

Next, (optional) depending on whether or not you want the device to rotate and/or pan/tilt, pick up a slim swivel plate. Mount that to the VSM. They look like this:

[​IMG]

Next, you need to get a Dual T-Notch AMPS Bracket plate, and mount it to the VSM (or swivel plate).

[​IMG]

Lastly, the included Verizon Car Mount already has the receiving end of the Dual T-Notch AMPS. (Thank you Verizon for using an industry standard). So you just slide it on and you are good to go.

Here is my setup:

The VSM with the Dual T AMPS on a swivel plate:

[​IMG]

The phone mounted and swiveled vertically:

[​IMG]

..and the phone swiveled horizontally:

[​IMG]

You can get VSM's and AMP plates at several places. I recommend

SIRIUS Radio, SIRIUS antennas, SIRIUS accessories | TSS-Radio

Bracketron : Mounting Solutions for Mobile Electronics

Arkon

ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

Hope that helps,

-Z

22. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

I have a generic, weighted beanbag mount that has the dual T-notch adapter so it fits the DROID cradle so I'll be using it as my mount. I got it from Amazon for around $10.

23. dwgoldsm

dwgoldsm New Member

ACC5 also works for $5 off any accessory on verizonwireless.com

24. T0LLPHR33

ZCAST...your setup is so sick...that's exactly what i'm looking for...:D

25. aaronbrannt

aaronbrannt Member

I bought the Motorola car dock that they sell at the Verizon store, I wanted to wait and compare docks but I ended up being too impatient to buy one online. I actually really like it, if your car isn't loud on the inside, the speakerphone works just fine. I smoke cigarettes and have trouble with speaker phone when the window is down, but other than that it's fine. The positioning is fine and it securely mounts to the windshield. It comes with dash sticky pad but I prefer the window pound because it's really easy to remove and place in another position. It hasn't fallen and I've used it for 4 days.