• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Car dock accessory turns screen upside down

ILoveMyDroid

Android Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2010
Greetings again, I've been a proud user of the Thunderbolt and have been amazed by the caliber at which it performs. however, whenever i put the phone in a Car dock (made specifically for the phone) the phone recognizes it, puts it into car mode but for some reason when i exit and go to the music player, the 3D-like music viewer is flipped upside down making the on-screen function buttons towards the top of the phone or the place with the 'Verizon' mark and earphone speaker. i want the icons and function buttons to be on the bottom of the phone when it is in landscape. has anyone had problems with the same thing?

Then the polar sensitive magnet might not be working in your phone or the car dock. first, if possible try finding a small magnet, stronger than a refrigerator magnet but not too strong and place it near the back door. if nothing happens then your internal magnet doesn't work. if the small test does work it's just the car dock. exchange it from there

Upvote 0
What car dock are you using? I've been looking for a good TB specific mount but all I've see so far is the universial crap.

Check out eBay for the Verizon car dock. I bought mine there new for $10 cheaper. The screen changes to car mode and gives you 6 features highlighted in buttons on the screen. As I recall they are footprints, call, navigation, voice search and maps. I can not recall what is the sixth feature button. You can exit the car mode and it will then bring up the home screen you are use to but it will be in the landscape mode. This all occurs when you use it in the landscape mode. The back of the tray has a outlet to plug in your car charger and to leave it in if you want. This is one of the best windshield mounts I have ever come across. It can also be mounted on your dash.

Upvote 0
I have the same one and mine dows nothing but charg it. won't switch anything at all.
Ignoring the fact this is a great car dock, it has been cheap made (China?) after all. But i like it, the second one, i mean. The first one did not switch nothing on my phone, I had to push it in really hard to the very end, and was afraid of ruining usb port on the phone. I took it back to the store, and they replaced with no question, yet they said (and showed me), that little usb connector was "a little off". Go get the new one. :cool:

Upvote 0
Okay, here is the deal. Yes it flips it upside down when using the music player, I noticed this right away. I think it's because of the way HTC has coded the Landscape switch when docked. The Music screen flips to Landscape when not docked so it gets confused when docked. If your screen does not switch to Landscape and activate Car Panel when docked.. it's because you have not seated the phone all the way in the cradle. There are barbs in the usb connector that are resisting the phones ability to seat all the way on the connector. Many people have taken a dremel tool and ground off the barbs so the phone slides right on the usb with no problem. It also makes it much easier to remove the phone from the cradle as well. Also if you notice, Car Panel is not listed in the app drawer... if you exit car panel through the menu, you have to undock and redock the phone to get it back. However, if you install a third party launcher like Launcher Pro, the Car Panel app shows up in the app drawer. Weird huh. I will ask HTC about the bug with Music player in Landscape and see what they say.

Reactions: ILoveMyDroid
Upvote 0
I had the same issue with the car dock, the music player was practically unusable when docked. Fortunately, I've had PowerAmp installed since my OG Droid, which works perfectly in the car dock and has a great landscape mode with large buttons for easy control. Most people swear by PowerAmp anyway, as it gives many more features than the standard music player. I was gonna give the HTC Music app a chance on the TBolt, but after the car dock issue I completely switched to PowerAmp full time.

So if using PowerAmp is an option for you, it provides a good solution. Fully featured music player with a great interface that is compatible with the car dock.

Reactions: Tech Addiction
Upvote 0
I posted the issue on Twitter to @htc and I also just got done with a Web Chat with htc on this as well. I gave @htc pics of the phone in the car dock with the app upside down. They also have the link to this thread so if you have experienced this issue please post it here so they can see it's wide spread and needs attention on one of the upcoming software fixes.

Reactions: LV777
Upvote 0
I posted the issue on Twitter to @htc and I also just got done with a Web Chat with htc on this as well. I gave @htc pics of the phone in the car dock with the app upside down. They also have the link to this thread so if you have experienced this issue please post it here so they can see it's wide spread and needs ttention on one of the upcoming software fixes.

Thanks man. haha i feel as though I and others could greatly affect the release on android 2.3 for Tbolt users. :D

Upvote 0
This is what it looks like, I know its blurry but it was hard to get a good shot.

IMG_20110405_160713.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones