Car Dock Alternative (Completely Free)Tips

Last Updated:

1. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 29, 2010
    This is essentially one of those techniques for something homemade, as an alternative to something you would otherwise have to pay for. If you're on a tight budget or simply want something quick and easy, this might be for you.

Lately I haven't really had any extra money to purchase an actual car dock, so this is what I've always done if I wanted to record a, "driving session," as though I had a dashcam. I attach my phone to the strap on my vehicle's sun visor. In most vehicles there are straps on the visors for you to clip garage door openers and such to. I've done this since I first had my LG Voyager and it works really well for me.

I simply slip my phone into this empty space between the strap and the visor itself, and it holds in place perfectly without blocking the view of the camera. Then I pull it down and adjust the angle. This works well with my older LG Voyager, but that phone is a bit on the thick side, so a Droid X may be able to slip out. I don't know for sure yet. You can always use something else, like a rope or a bungy. Or you can simply stuff something in there with the phone to make sure it's snug. I haven't exactly done a whole lot of testing with this method. I've always just stuck the phone there and hit record. Works out great for me.

The picture below is the view that I can get when I clip my phone to the driver-side sun visor. I don't have a strap on my passenger-side visor by default, so for now I just clip it to the other one.

If you find that you need to adjust the camera angle, you can simply pull the visor out of the notch shown below. I've found that most vehicles have one.

The method of bringing down your driver-side visor to nearly a 90