Car dock--any better after froyo?

Last Updated:

1. Trey1

Trey1 Member This Topic's Starter

We're planning on taking a long car trip at the end of the summer. I like the idea of the car dock for the Nexus One, but I saw a lot of dissatisfaction with people using it. There seemed to a lot of trouble with the phone not charging properly,and getting very hot in the dock.

Does anyone know if any of those problems have gotten better after the Froyo 2.2 update? Is there any chance the dock will be improved, or are we just out of luck?

Advertisement
  2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Hopefully MartinS will chime in, he uses his N1 a lot while driving. My big concern is still screen burn in, google really needs to kill the notification bar during navigation.

3. MattG

MattG Active Member

For me it charges just fine, and it does get quite hot. Turning off the screen cuts down the heat though.

4. the co0kie

the co0kie Well-Known Member

dont leave the charger in the sun and put the ac on it and youll be fine... i put the ac on it only cause where i have it... kinda got to haha its right infront of it

5. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

I use it a lot and it works fine for me, battery charge seems to stop only if phone gets too hot so if you can keep the sun off it then that helps.

6. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

I use the car dock a lot while driving.....I don't think that it has necessarily got better since the Froyo update - the bluetooth link between the phone and dock still seems to occasionally dropout.

My top tips in using it:
    Gets hot in the dock, especially in hot weather (obviously). I turn off the 3G connection as this reduces the heat generated plus, reduces the battery drain.

As to the notification bar, I haven't noticed any screen burn-in but I use a desire-rooted bar when available.

7. michael_84

michael_84 Well-Known Member

You could always get a Bluetooth Radio.. I picked one up on eBay for

8. Trey1

Trey1 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Sounds like the heat issue is still there, although it can be worked around (sort of).

9. Turbo Brian

Turbo Brian Active Member

What kind of heat issue are we talking about? Hot enough to cause damage? Hot enough to cause stability issues and or reboots? I'm thinking of gettinga dock myself as well but not if its gonna f up my $500 phone.

10. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Just too hot for the battery to charge fast enough (it automatically cuts down the charge when the temperature gets too high).