• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Car Dock App Alternative?

I installed my Car Dock today in my Tahoe. I really like the setup and finger tap access that the dock brings. What I really don't like is the Car Dock App that comes on the X. It is has a boring look that lacks style. More importantly the music portion of the app is very poor. I would like to be able to select artist, playlist and maybe even see album art work. Can anyone suggest another car dock app on the market? Thanks.

Though I agree that some increased functionality would be nice, I think the point of the car dock app is to be as simple as possible so as not to distract you from the road, which is when you'd probably be using it.

Not sure of any replacement app, though if I am not mistaken the Car Dock app uses google maps for it's navigation. I'd highly suggest you use the stand-alone Google Navigation app. Sooooo much better.

Upvote 0
Yeah, these smart phones are very helpful on the road, but that helpfulness can be a bit distracting. The DX won't help un-bend your bumber from that fender bender ;)

I usually just use my phone to activate the bluetooth or input navigation. The speech-to-text feature of the Google Navigation app is priceless. Honestly cannot speak highly enough about how many times in the last few days that App has saved my butt! Way better than any GPS system you can buy on the market. Even displays traffic info!!

Upvote 0
Not sure of any replacement app, though if I am not mistaken the Car Dock app uses google maps for it's navigation. I'd highly suggest you use the stand-alone Google Navigation app. Sooooo much better.

once you get the directions through maps the little blue arrow navigation icon should be on the screen to click on...and it brings up Google Navigation just fine...

Upvote 0
I like this one a lot, but hey I wrote it so I guess I would:

CarHome Ultra

It has a lot of features including speaking location alerts (you can turn them off), speedometer, weather, customizable shortcuts...

Kudos Pine...this has been THE car dock app of choice on my DX for several months now. I subscribed back when it was Car Home Beta and purchased the premium key immediately after it was first offered. Great app! Improvements? Maybe if you could choose the number of "homescreens" and have an option to choose more than 3??? Also, you have automatic on/off settings for wifi and bluetooth. Why isn't it possible for the app to automatically turn on/off GPS when docked or undocked?

Upvote 0
For my 3D I used Custom Car Home I liked getting to pick how many screens and being able to put what apps I wanted where. I don't like what came with my new Evo. On Custom Car home you could keep the screen on and the brightness high and I like being able to have bluetooth connect when docked. I have heard lots of good things about Car Home Ultra so I guess I will try it instead of getting Custom Car Home back. I am assuming like my 3D it will let me make it the default when I dock phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones