Car Dock Discussion ThreadAccessories

Last Updated:

1. computerpro3

computerpro3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I plan on being a heavy car user of my Incredible, as I suspect many others are. It would be nice to have a consolidated thread where we can get information about and discuss potential car docking solutions.

From what I understand, our phone doesn't auto-rotate and launch the Car Panel application when placed in the Verizon GPS dock. Also, the built in dock doesn't have power or speakers.

Is this info correct?

Also, are there any third party alternatives that launch the Car Panel application and have speakers? What do you all plan on doing to make using your Incredible in the car easier and more efficient?

Advertisement
  2. runin2k1

runin2k1 Active Member

I like the features of the Nexus One dock more and my hope is that the Inc will fit in it, but I'm not holding my breath. Wish they were sold in stores so I could try it at least.

I may end up waiting for a powered dock with more features to come out though. My plan is to run a new wire up through my dash directly to the dock rather than have an unsightly power cord hanging down to my cigarette lighter.

3. SBrooks1

SBrooks1 Well-Known Member

4. paynomind

paynomind Active Member

I am looking forward to trying my DI in my buddy's Moto Droid car mount.

I really want a charger/mount for the car. I hope everyone posts here when and if they see one for our DIs

5. wannainc

wannainc Well-Known Member

So, I saw a car mount that fits into the charger to hold it but doesnt actually charge the phone. So instead of sticking it to the window the plug sticks into the charger and holds the mount so the phone is lower down. That was on ebay. I purchased a 6" window mount but the 6" neck can come off and it can attach to the air cond vents. Sorta cool!:D

6. CyberDroid

CyberDroid Well-Known Member

Yeah ... me too ... I will be waiting for a Nexus One style car dock. I was at the VW store yesterday, and they indicated that a home dock, Motorola Droid style, will be available. Sadly they could not show it to me.... as if they did not already have it in stock.

7. viperboy

viperboy Well-Known Member

That is correct. The Incredible doesn't have the magnetic spots on the back like the Droid does, that is how it auto-launches the Car Home app.

I ordered the windshield mount for my phone and it is on its way. It is a window mount BUT ALSO a holster. So you use it on your belt all day and than can drop it on the windshield mount while in the holster! 2 for 1!!

JohnKuczek and Buckwild like this.
  8. wannainc

Sounds really cool..please post a picture if you can, when you get it! Sort of a bummer that the Incredible doesnt have those magnets:(

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Well-Known Member

That does stink that the DInc doesn't have the magnets. But I figure I'll just keep the Car Panel app on my main screen and just tap it as I'm mounting the phone. Not that big of an issue. I think we're just lamenting that fact because it's one of the few things the Droid can do that our Incredibles can't.

10. Buckwild

Buckwild Well-Known Member

That is awesome thank you very much for that info. I was scratching my head over this very issue since I NEED a case to protect my phone (I drop it pretty often) but did not want to have to take the case off everytime I wanted to mount it to the car dock.

I'm going to have to go to the Verizon store tomorrow and go on a shopping spree :)

11. rod2625

rod2625 Member

12. wannainc

Wow! That is cool! Like a bean bag chair for your phone! Your right about certain states but I cant remember if mine is one of them!:rolleyes:

13. jikhead

jikhead Well-Known Member

14. BradF

BradF Active Member

I too would really like a doc similar to the nexus one doc. Who manufactures that?? HTC?

15. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member

I tried it yesterday, doesn't fit.

16. eagleOne

eagleOne Well-Known Member

17. DCoy82

DCoy82 Well-Known Member

This sounds like something I would be interested in. Can you provide a link to where you ordered this from? Thanks!

18. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

19. Lummix

Lummix Member

From where did you order such a fine product? I sure would like to share in your happiness, if you would be so kind as to point myself and the rest of us to the place where you purchased it. Many thanks! Hehheh!

20. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will be like the Moto droid and connect the same way. This is what I used for the moto doid.

Attached Files:

21. jfunk

jfunk Well-Known Member

22. JJBetty

JJBetty Well-Known Member

Take it for what it's worth. Went to a Verizon store and CSR told me I wouldn't be able to use the car dock if I purchased the extended battery due to the size of the case. Ughhhhh.

23. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

One thing that kind of sucks is the fact that the Car app doesn't work in landscape from what I've seen. I was kind of hoping there was a magent set-up like the DROID, but apparently it doesn't have it. Can anyone confirm that the car app doesn't work in landscape?

24. Promoboy

Promoboy Member

Just FYI, Walmart has an adjustable mount that fits in your cup holder. It adjusts big enough for my GPS unit and small enough for my Blackberry Storm.

I paid $19.99 in the store but I noticed on the Walmart website, there is the exact same model with a different manufacturer name for about 16 bucks. Go to the site and search for cup holder mount.

25. AlexNC

AlexNC Well-Known Member