Car Dock nav is NOT standard Google Nav, works poorlySupport

Last Updated:

1. firetruck41

firetruck41 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got my DX almost two weeks ago, and immediately ordered the Motorola Car Dock. When you dock it, and it goes into car dock mode, it has a "My Location" button, which takes you to a google map with some overlayed buttons (some kind of skin, essentially). You can select "Nav" on that screen, but it does not take you to the Google Nav app, instead it opens up a dialog box, where you can enter your destination. Then it will work like Google Nav.

It really stinks that if you return to the cardock home screen, to change your music or something, when you come back to the My Location> Nav, you will have to re-enter your destination.

Another huge frustration from the lack of integration with the Google Nav app, is when you use the standard Google Nav App (like set a destination, before you leave the house), and then get in the car and enter car dock mode, you can not access your current Nav through car dock mode. You can still get back to it, but you have to exit "car dock mode", and open the Google Nav App.

Anyone have any solutions to this? If it were possible, the simplest thing would be to remove the "My Location" button and replace it with a shortcut to the Google Nav App. It does not appear that you can change any of the preset buttons. There is one button that you can set, but I have it set for Pandora, since I use it frequently.

Advertisement
  2. bostoniansurvivor

bostoniansurvivor Well-Known Member

I downloaded "dock nothingness"

It basically does what you'd expect. Nothing. It prevents the phone from entering car mode when it's placed in the dock. It allows you to simply use your homescreen the same way you would if it isn't in the dock. Works great for me.

3. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

Not the ideal solution, but there is one "Add App" location on the main car dock screen. You can set this button to open the regular Google Maps app if you want. Then you would just not use the "My Location" button anymore.

Another solution is to use a different car dock - something like Custom Car Home Dock. Then you can totally customize the dock to your liking.

4. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

You can set that button to Navigation also.

5. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

Yeah, learn how to use the phone ;)

When you leave NAV, it's still active and goes to the notification bar. Just pull down the bar, tap navigation and you're back in.

6. firetruck41

That is a good solution, but I have mine set to pandora since I use that more.

I am going to try "car dock" by ig_88, as a replacement dock.

7. firetruck41

:)
    I do use the notification bar pulldown. I was hoping someone had a way to make the car dock app work better, maybe a way to replace the "my location" button with a nav burton...