Car dock questionsAccessories

Last Updated:

1. ku4ever2

ku4ever2 Member This Topic's Starter

Trying to determine if it is worth buying the Verizon car dock and had a few questions for those that have used it:

* Does the dock have connections for the microUSB charger AND the audio port? Pretty sure I saw the charger conneciton but not sure about audio.
    * When docked, does phone automatically go into speaker mode? I assume if audio cable is connected it goes right to car speakers?
    * Is the mount pretty solid...windor and/or dash?
    * I know I have read it works with very fewcovers. Any suggestion on good covers that work well with mount.
    * Oh..and was anybody able to find a better price than the $40 I see on the Verizon store?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

ku4ever2 likes this.
  3. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

I like it a lot. I bought both the car and multi media docks Both are great for keeping your battery charged up while making your phone look cool.

It has a USB port but the audio connects to the phone.
    The mount is very well built and hasn't fallen off once since I got it and down here in south Florida these things fall of the window a lot from the heat if they are cheap.

No cover will work as it is custom made to fit the phone. I use one of those soft neo form cases that can easily be removed. The fit is so close that even just having a skin on can get in the way . But I just cut off about a 1/4 inch, of the skin not the phone, on the top and it's fine now.

All in all I really like it but if you want to use a case that's hard to remove you may want to look at some good universal mounts.

I don't know what car dock the post above is talking about but there is no way any case will work. I'd like to see that mod as I can't see any way to mod this that would allow a case. It almost looks like they are referring to a universal or the other dock VZW makes and sales for the Incredible. That car dock also wiggled a lot.

4. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Wrong. In fact I do know what I'm talking about. The dock is equipped with an insert. The insert fits the device (naked). You can remove the insert, which gives way to a larger area for the device with a case to be cradled. Of course not all cases will fit into the dock, but again, I can confirm that I can properly seat my Amzer Argyle case, and I know others have confirmed that the Rocketfish case from Best Buy works as well.

Proof - http://androidforums.com/droid-x-accessories/127453-case-fits-motorola-car-dock.html#post1270705

Here's the thread discussing the dremel mod - http://androidforums.com/droid-x-accessories/130450-modify-car-dock-fit-verizon-cases-easy-way.html

And this post shows the insert I was speaking about - http://androidforums.com/droid-x-accessories/129539-car-dock-adapts-phone-case.html#post1200691

ku4ever2 likes this.
  5. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Wow cool me bad I own the damn thing and never knew that. I stand corrected and happy to be. I even took back a case because of it. :eek:

Thanks

Live and learn I guess. Does the multi media dock also have this insert? If not I'm still in the same boat and will need to remove my cover.

6. ku4ever2

ku4ever2 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys for the useful info. I should hopefully receive my phone any day (ordered on the 14th). I have oredered a bunch of accessories but was holding off on the car dock. Jubba..I think I have the same case you mentioned..the Amzer Luxe Argyle Skin Case. So that one fits the dock well without any modifications (other than removing the insert)?

[​IMG]