Car holder, data cable and FW update.

Last Updated:

1. biggdaniell

biggdaniell Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,
    I can't find a "car holder" thread for desire so I opened one. Of course I can't find any car holder for it in my country and it seems there is one available here. It's there anyone who tried it and can recommend it (or not)?

I also need a secondary data cable because the original cable must stay with the charger (I was hoping that the charger had it's own cable) and I need to know if ANY "usb to micro-usb" cable can be used for data transfers?? If not maybe the usb cable that comes with the original car charger is good for data?!

One other question, OTA updates are available for any DESIRE phone regardless of what network/carrier I'm using it on? If not, how can I check for fw updates?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

OK, can't advise on the car charger.

In terms of the data cable you are correct, any USB to Micro-USB will work fine. They are all the same.

Your phone will check for updates automatically with the HTC servers regardless of network. You can perform a manual check by going Settings >About Phone >System Software Updates. At the bottom there will be a 'Check Now' option. You can also turn off Scheduled Checks (not recommended!)

biggdaniell likes this.
  3. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

1. I don't know of any car cradles yet, I certainly haven't tested one. Sorry.

2. You can get micro USB -> USB cables from ebay for very little cost, I have bought one and it works fine for data transfer to my laptop (as does the one from my charger).

Hope this helps!

biggdaniell likes this.
  4. Sagio

Sagio New Member

Hi,

I was also looking for a car cradle and decided upon ordering a Brodit Nexus One Holder - I'm happy to say it fits perfectly!!

Note that on Brodit sites, when searching for the holder by phone manufacturer its listed under Nexus not google.

Hope this helps :)

biggdaniell likes this.
  5. biggdaniell

biggdaniell Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's good news!! :)
    I was hoping to find one that can be mounted on the windshield. I hope all nexus holder fits desire too (including the ones that can be found in my country...if any).

Thanks again guys!

6. quibble

quibble Member

Good news on the Brodit Nexus one holder working - I was thinking about the same thing!!

On a related note, I know that the Nexus has a "Car Home" screen / app. This means that the display gets much simpler when docked.

Does anyone know of a similar app or how to get the same app on the Desire? It'd be useful while driving to have quick access to a few functions.

7. 400ixl

400ixl Well-Known Member

8. aberj6

aberj6 Member

9. Metallifux

Metallifux Member

kazs_angel likes this.
  10. Sagio

Sagio New Member

Theres an app available called Car Dock. I use that. Its quite good - 3 home screens and you can add big button shortcuts, so large icons for direct dials, navigation addresses and so on. i've got that loaded up with the brodit nexus holder, attached to the center of my dashboard :)

11. stewalker

stewalker Member

12. Metallifux

Metallifux Member

kazs_angel likes this.
  13. RobDickson

RobDickson Well-Known Member

14. kazs_angel

kazs_angel New Member

Newbie! Posted wrong. Please see below!

15. kazs_angel

kazs_angel New Member

Hi Metallifux
    I've been looking at the Dash Friction Car Kit Mount for my HTC Desire as well. I know the whole thing doesn't move around on the dashboard when the car is moving but does the phone itself shake/vibrate noticeably on the crad? I am currently using a windscreen mount I which I got (on loan) from T Mobile which surprisingly holds the phone very firmly but it does shake quite a bit even though the holder isn't a 'snake neck' type. Just wondered if this is a problem whatever type of car holder is used.
    Many thanks.