Car kit that does handfree, fm transmitter and chargeAccessories

Last Updated:

1. flixxx

flixxx Member

I am looking for a car accessory that acts as a charger, fm transmitter and handsfree.

I've checked your thread that shows various Car holders but the closest one i've seen was the one that does handsfree and charging. It was missing the FM Transmitter part.

I landed on this item;

HTC Desire HD FM Transmitter

Anyone have any reviews on this item? I'd like to know how it performs, specifically any interference with the FM Transmitter.

Can anyone recommend anything else that would do the same thing?

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Can't say I've come across many that do a combination of everything that you're looking for tbh. The small number that I can find have pretty poor reviews unfortunately.
  3. flixxx

flixxx Member

Thank you for your feedback.

Is there a favorite among this forum that will at least do the charging and handsfree?

I can look at a separate fm transmitter and plug it in later.

4. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

I use the Jabra sp700, no charge but the fm transmission is good. Sounds not bad considering., i clip it to my sun visor and on a 300 mile car journey infequently have to re tune, given the cost.
  5. maddog497

maddog497 Active Member

The other avenue is to get a bluetooth, hands free with fm transmitting abilities. I use this one and it works great. You would still need a to get a car charger but they are very inexpensive.

The motorola T505 works great and it goes quite a while between charges. I'm sure there are lots out there, but I can confirm this one works flawlessly with the DHD.
  6. FCUM

FCUM Well-Known Member

Ive got a Belkin Tunecast which has a USB port on the back of the plug for you to charge. Like you I have the DHD, but for some reason, around two weeks ago, the sound from the phone call stopped being sent through the headphone socket and I cannot figure out why. As a transmitter it works quite well, though does introduce a bit of noise when you plug the charge lead in for some reason.
  7. pauleden

pauleden Active Member

I've got a different version of that. Mine has a jack socket so you cable the output into the aux socket of the car stereo rather than transmitting it via FM.

The sucker and holder are excellent, really as good as any I've used. It charges at 1A too, which is great. The build quality of the plug unit, however is pretty poor.

Mine has a 2.5mm socket for audio, which is odd because the phone (and my stereo) have 3.5mm so I've got a 2.5mm to 3.5mm lead to get the audio to the car stereo. This sounds a good solution except the 2.5mm socket is very poor, loose and wobbly and makes a lot of bad connections, plus there's an awful lot of buzz and hiss on the audio.

Also, the mic for the handsfree is on the holder and is VERY directional. This is fine for noisy environments where you can get close to the mic, but if you can't, callers hear you very quietly.

Much of what I say won't apply to the FM transmitter version, of course.
  8. djdillpickle

djdillpickle Well-Known Member

The obvious problem with that holder is it wont accommodate any sort of protective case you may use.
  9. flixxx

flixxx Member

Thanks for all of the replies.

It looks like i'm going to go down the route of buying a charging car kit and seperately look for a bluetooth/fm trasnmitter.

I can't find a car kit though that accepts my otterbox case and charges. I'm still looking at various reviews online.

I'll keep you guys posted with what I come up with. If anyone has any recommendations for a car kit that charges and accepts a case let me know. PReferably id' like to permanently put it on the my dash similar to the brodit, etc.