• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Car kit?

CHICO2010

Lurker
May 21, 2010
I've been a pretty staunch supporter of the iPhone ever since it came out. While I still think it's a great device (and is only going to get better with the new version) I'm growing more and more fond of Android. In fact, even after I examine the new iPhone, I have a feeling I'll still be interested in going with a Droid. (might have to be an EVO... more on that later.)

Here's the thing... I do a lot of driving and like to listen to my iPhone in my car. Griffin makes a great product called the autopilot. Griffin Technology: AutoPilot - Charge/control/play your iPod through your car's AUX-in port

It connects the aux cable directly into the power plug so that you're only left with one cable to plug directly into the bottom of your iPhone. Needless to say, this is vastly superior to having a power cord plugged into the bottom and an aux cable plugged into the jack on top. I've grown so used to this setup that not having something like this for an android powered device would pretty much be a deal breaker.

I've spent more time than I'd like to admit searching for something like this but have come up empty. It's rather odd to think a product like this doesn't exist. Am I the only one who likes to listen to their phone in the car? It would be a giant leap backwards to have 2 cables (from opposing ends no less) coming out of my phone in order to make this happen. So I'm really hoping there's something out there that'll provide this functionality.

Referring to the 'more on that later' part above... The EVO seems to be the only android device that has its usb outlet in the proper location (the bottom). Both Droids have it on the side... Is this because of the docking station? Does the Incredible work with the docking station as well? I'm a big fan of that unit so I may be willing to overlook the side mounted jack in order to have that nice dock on my desk... but it still sucks. I have a cig lighter in my center armest in my car. It works out perfectly with my phone resting near the shifter and the cable running directly from the bottom of it to the center armest. Having the cable from from any other area will make the setup far less ideal.

Anyway... enough rambling. Any insight you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can assure you having two cables in your phone is not that big a problem, and shouldn't be a dealbreaker of any kind. (Do it all the time) however I do know you can output audio via mini usb, but not sure about micro usb.... so not exactly sure if its possible.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I already contacted Griffin but they pretty much said they have no plans for an Android Auto Pilot. Shit! I was really hoping something like this already existed. As far as having 2 cords coming out of my phone goes... sorry dude, for me that just sucks. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a neat freak (less is more). In addition, having 2 wires coming from opposing ends just makes the whole thing cumbersome to use.

As far as BT goes... My HU already has this but it's just not ready for primetime IMO. When I get in the car I just wanna plug in and get going. I found the BT connection to take longer than I liked. (could be my HU and/or iPhone). But even that pales in comparison to the poor sound quality. Even though it's technically analog, the aux connection provides great sound quality so that's what I'm sticking with. Hell, even compared to plugging it into the actual HU (via usb) isn't as good. Sure, you can see all the media on your phone and control it via your HU, but that sounds cooler than it really is. Most of the UIs of these HU just don't stack up to the ease of use handsets like the iPhone and Android devices offer. Plus, I'm on the phone a lot so I don't need my device being monopolized by some HU.

Oh well... guess I'll keep looking. Thanks guys

Upvote 0
Well, it also has the added benefit of hands-free calling, so I'd reconsider, but that's your call.

It had that as well. Motorola T605. The quality of the voice was really bad. I was told I was hard to hear, distant, and echo'y. That unit has an ECU that takes the radio output and tries to cancel it from the mic. It didn't work.

Yeah, I already contacted Griffin but they pretty much said they have no plans for an Android Auto Pilot. Shit! I was really hoping something like this already existed. As far as having 2 cords coming out of my phone goes... sorry dude, for me that just sucks. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a neat freak (less is more). In addition, having 2 wires coming from opposing ends just makes the whole thing cumbersome to use.

I feel the same way. I just wanna plug it in and go, adding cables is cumbersome. I don't think we have an option so, for now, oh well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones