Car microphone accessory?

Last Updated:

1. desau

desau New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking for a decent way to connect my N1 to my car. This is what I want:

- Quality audio (3.5mm jack to car stereo AUX-in)
    - Switchover to call (pause music when a call comes in), phone audio goes through car speakers (via car stereo AUX-in)
    - Microphone, so I don't have to hold the headset up to my mouth when talking, which is illegal, if not dangerous.

This seems like such a basic thing -- I'm vexed that this accessory doesn't come with the phone. I upgraded from an HTC Magic to the N1 -- the HTC magic had this accessory. It was just a simple cable pass-through -- Mini USB to 3.5mm jack, with an included microphone on the cable.

The N1 comes with headphones that has everything, but instead of earbuds, I want a 3.5mm jack so I can connect to my car. I'm about to cut these headphones apart and solder up something. I could have used my HTC Magic cable, but they went to a Micro USB instead of Mini.

ARGH.

I'd be OK (and I'd be willing to spend more money) on a bluetooth solution, as long as it connects to my car's stereo. The official N1 car dock is a joke -- we've all got car stereos, why the hell do I have to use some crappy 1-inch built-in speaker?

Advertisement
  2. Schwin97

Schwin97 Well-Known Member

I have one of the bluetooth ones that uses FM to connect to my stereo, but the bluetooth unit has a microphone that is used so I don't have to hold the phone. Pretty sure it does a good job too as I haven't had to repeat myself all that much.

The problem with connecting to your car through the 3.5mm jack is I doubt there is a car around that would use the microphone part of the 3.5mm jack, so you are always stuck holding your phone up when connected through the 3.5 mm jack. That is the beauty of the bluetooth solution. You may want to look into the HTC car dock as it bluetooth's your phone to the dock, and the dock can be connected to the stereo by the 3.5mm jack on the car dock. You may get the best of both worlds with that setup???

3. jurassicjockey

jurassicjockey New Member

4. Schwin97

Schwin97 Well-Known Member

Wow... I don't have a car dock, but would never have guessed that it didn't have a 3.5mm jack for output. Definitely not going to worry about buying that now.

5. sdipaola

sdipaola New Member

Is there a software way to tell the N1 even though there is a jack in ( for the audio to car stereo) that it should use the regular external mic instead - that would solve the problem where you can still use your car stereo which for me is preferred solution in that I have a great cheap car dock and like to listen to music and hear my phone through my car speakers.