• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Car Mode [RANT]

killick

Lurker
Apr 30, 2010
I have a product from Cellet to hold my Motorola Droid on my dash board. Glue the mount to the dash, glue a metal plate to the droid, and a magnet in the mount holds the droid. It works well and never falls off.

[Begin RANT]

BUT-- If the Droid is in Car Mode and I get a call, why does it not default to speakerphone? If there's no headset connected, why would it do anything other than default to speaker?

Why doesn't Car Mode respond to voice commands like, "answer call"?
[end RANT]

When I'm driving I want to be hands free. I have poked around and can't see a way to change Car Mode settings. Anyone have a suggestion?

thx!

Killick

BUT-- If the Droid is in Car Mode and I get a call, why does it not default to speakerphone? If there's no headset connected, why would it do anything other than default to speaker?

Why doesn't Car Mode respond to voice commands like, "answer call"?

I haven't noticed the speakerphone issue because I pretty much always have a phono cable plugged in, carrying sound from the Droid to my car's stereo. Works very well, no sound issues on either end of the call. That might help one part of your problem.

The voice commands bit would be very helpful, though - you should submit suggestions here: Google Product Ideas

Reactions: killick
Upvote 0
I'm currently running UltimateDroid 3.0.1, but mine defaulted to speakerphone in car mode using the stock rom. In fact, if I was on a call, speakerphone would turn on when I inserted the phone in the dock, and turn off when I removed it. This may have something to do with the fact that I'm using a Droid 2 dock though, resulting in the phone getting external power at the same time.

Upvote 0
I'm currently running UltimateDroid 3.0.1, but mine defaulted to speakerphone in car mode using the stock rom. In fact, if I was on a call, speakerphone would turn on when I inserted the phone in the dock, and turn off when I removed it. This may have something to do with the fact that I'm using a Droid 2 dock though, resulting in the phone getting external power at the same time.

Unplug the power and see. But I do believe it is a GB related feature.

Upvote 0
Another solution is an app called Settings Profiles. This will let you setup a profile with various settings enabled/disabled and when you put it in the dock it automatically switches to those settings for you. I don't have a car dock, but a bluetooth stereo, so when I connect the BT to the stereo, it starts the car dock app, begins playing music, turns media volume up, ringers up, speakerphone is enabled.

Very handy app, this is just one example of its usage. I bought the app over a year ago, at that time it was $3 but the free version allowed one rule (I.e. dock mode -> do this).

Reactions: killick
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones