Car Mount ReviewAccessories

Last Updated:

1. jordonshaw

jordonshaw Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my Droid X today and have been thinking about the car mount. If you have one, can you tell me how you like it, what real benefit do you get from it, and where did you buy yours and for how much? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the purchase.

Thanks,
    Jordon

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I purchased my car dock two days before the DX was released at a local VZW corporate store. I find the car dock useful when I'm running the GPS (Navigation) app. At this point I've basically replaced my old GPS with the DX. On my car the dash is flat so I have my dock sitting flush on the dash. It doesn't wiggle or move.

3. Necronius

Necronius Member

I got the mount as well. Very nice so far. Just beware misinformation on the internet. I noticed alot of people saying it doesnt work with cases. I initially almost cancelled my case order because of it but then though what the heck, I'll just take it off. It turns out there is an insert (that's very hard to tell is even attached if you arent looking for it) that when removed, allows you to install the phone with a silicone case on it. Finding that out made the mount that much better.

thegekko likes this.
  4. dlbrando

dlbrando Well-Known Member

I like it. I was using it without a case, but today I got the rocketfish soft touch case. So I pulled the insert and whittled a small bit of plastic away that protrudes behind the USB connector and now it fits fine. Good product

5. jordonshaw

I've just started playing around with mine. What application do you use for turn-by-turn navigation

6. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

The car mount is one of the best features of this phone. It has replaced my garmin gps as well. I use google maps and it's great.

7. Doyer

Doyer Well-Known Member

masked and kwest12 like this.
  8. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I LOL'd when I watched the Youtube video. The guy doing the video pointed at the camera button and called it the power button (at about 0:35).

9. jordonshaw

That's so funny, I thought that same thing!!!!

10. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member

One question: why the hell are the "side grip arms" so effin huge? I may buy this and slice those suckers down to size if it won't hurt the integrity of the mount.

They kinda look like a phase of the moon... except since the moon doesn't have a phase that looks exactly like that I'm gonna create a new phase: I'll call it the dumb@$$ waning gibbous... or perhaps the whining gibberish.

11. Doyer

Doyer Well-Known Member

lol, I think it's a testament to the Droid X's thinness, because the arms really aren't that big. ;)

12. edgeman4

edgeman4 Well-Known Member

Love, Love, Love it. You can use other mounts but you'll need to set up a magnet for it to switch automatically to car mode (you can do it manually of course). Works great, sturdy on my windshield. Phone is easy to plug in and remove. Works with a case if you do a tiny bit of modifying (seriously it is a little bit of plastic that has to be removed for it to work with a case that helps the insert stay in place). All in all well worth it, IMO.