• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I use this one: Exogear Exomount Universal Car Mount for iPhone, Mobile Phone, GPS, (Black)
Cons: The nut on the back seems to get loose quite a bit, but that is the only problem I have with the mount.

Pros: It can be used portrait or landscape. Fits the Optimus V, my mp3 player and my GPS.

I purchased mine when it was $17 or so and then there was a coupon. I think I paid $13 or 14 for mine.

Reactions: bonline
Upvote 0
Personally, I like a vent mount. Windshield or dash is way too hot with sun beating down. In summer I run AC through my dash vents which keep the phone cool. In winter I run heat through the floor or defrost or both, so no heat blows on the phone. I do this whether i have a phone or not, it's just what i prefer, so if you don't, maybe that won't work for you.

Another nice thing about the vent mount is that the phone isn't visible to others nor does it block my view when I'm driving but it's in a great line of sight for me, i just glance over/down.

It also, in my car, puts the phone close enough to the stereo (I had an aux cable installed that plugs into the headphone jack) and the power socket, to let both cords reach easily.

I bought a pretty cheap one on ebay. Do make sure you get a mount with two little feet on the bottom rather than one wide base, because of where our mini usb power plug is.

Here's the one I got, $5.99 free shipping :)

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

See the little feet that the phone rests on? They allow the charger to be plugged in right in the middle.

$%28KGrHqN,%21hkE3u8MS645BOMdY6ptR%21%7E%7E0_12.JPG

Here's the one i had before, without the good feet setup. It was OK, I had to install it upside down so as not to block the power cord, but the new one is much better. This shows you how it looks with everything plugged in.

P1080075.JPG

Upvote 0
I bought this for my Intercept and now my Optimus:
Amazon.com: Arkon IPM515 Windshield/Dashboard Mount with Slim-Grip Phone Holder--Compatible with iPhone 4: Cell Phones & Accessories

Works well. I have the plastic plate that the suction sticks to stuck to my dash so the phone is just to the right of steering wheel, getting blown by an AC vent (keeps phone cool). Close to charger so wires aren't dangling everywhere. Had it on my windshield for a while, but not as good viewing, and got real hot in the sun.

Upvote 0
Can it go landscape? I am not sure. The side arms go out pretty wide (4.3 in according to the ebay listing), and the mount clips onto the vent via a square that might go sideways but i haven't tried it, I like my nav, etc in portrait.

The app is Car Home Ultra. 30 day free trial, $1.99 to keep it.

Car Home Ultra - Android app on AppBrain

One more thing I like about it is that, as you can see, I have a case on my phone. No problem. Gel case, hard case, otterbox, whatever, it fits and you don't have to change out your case or stick a magnet or anything to the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones