Car Phone Holder IdeasGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Baldguy

Baldguy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I am working out all my little issues with my phone. I am content with that. So moving onto another big issue I have. A real good car phone holder. Now in the past I have bought generic ones that "worked" fine with flip phones. I would now like one that works great. I dont want a "accidental" fall onto my shifter cracking my screen. I would like all ideas on this. I know most people deal with this on a daily basis also. Current things I am thinking about when looking for a holder.
    1: Good grip on phone
    2: A holder that has access to the bottom to charge phone
    3: A holder that has access to the top of phone for connection to headphone jack for playing into my FM transmitter.
    4: Long enough so that I can actually see my phone driving for GPS directions.
    5: Doesn't fall off when it gets cold (Window suction holders)

Let the ideas flow.....Thanks :)

Advertisement
  2. csetheridge

csetheridge Active Member

3. Baldguy

Sweet, I have the same one from Verizon. I love going to Walmart for some good people watching so I may run up and pick one up to try. Have you had any issues with falling off window?

4. csetheridge

No not yet...It is very secure. I have a gps that falls off often but this holder hasn't. I'm not sure what it may do in the summer as the windshield heats up. I think that's when they start to fail as the sun may stretch the rubber. JMO

5. Baldguy

6. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

That holder looks pretty cool. Will it fit an eris with a rubber "body glove" on it?

7. csetheridge

I'm sure it will it comes with 2 sets side pieces and it adjusts by moving the side pieces to different slots in the body. The phone may not slide in the slots easy if it has a rubbery grip to the case.The textured paint on the ribbed case works fine but I'm not sure about something like silicone.

8. IcyPhoenix13

IcyPhoenix13 Member

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread because I am also looking for a better solution for a car mount.

On a related topic, keep in mind that the Eris, like most recent HTC phones, uses the "Extended USB" port, so there are also adapters available that allow you to plug only one cord into your phone, and simultaneously provide USB charging input as well as 3.5mm stereo output. :)

There are a few different versions out there, but here is one example:

HTC Multifunction Audio Adapter - HTC Headset Adapters - Everything HTC Accessory Store

Just a thought, because if anyone else is like me, the less cords you have to plug in every time you get in the car, the better!

9. Baldguy

Great! Did not know that. Will be very nice not to have wires coming out of top and bottom. Thanks again!

10. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member

I found that the ones with flexible arms tend to vibrate. I bought one with a rigid, adjustable arm at best buy. No vibration and hasn't fallen off.

11. Baldguy

Would you post the link to the one you bought. I would like to take a peek at it. Thanks!

12. karib

karib Well-Known Member

I am currently using a mounting system that includes a panavise in dash mounting bracket(specific to your car) and an Igrip universal holder. Access to usb and headphone jack is perfect. It fits nice a snug in the holder which is nicely padded and has a release button for easy removal. It does not require any drilling, but you have to remove some dash pieces to install it ( I did it myself, so you know its pretty easy). I have a swivel mount piece on order too because as is, it does not swivel into landscape. Not sure I will even need it, but thought I would get it just in case. Not sure how much that swivel part is, sorry. Hope this link works!

InDash Custom Mount with Gripper Holder - GR2531/1642/InDash by:

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention that I love it!!

13. mobimop

mobimop Well-Known Member

Proclip is by far the very best.... I recently got a Eris and they released the holders just last week.

ProClip Mounting System

14. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member

The one karib posted is the one I got.

15. gridbug

gridbug Well-Known Member

Wow! Nice to see that they have such an in-depth site that shows pics of the installation relative to your vehicle as well as how-to-install documentation so you can know pretty much everything about this before you decide to purchase!

:D

16. csetheridge

I have to agree about the pro clip, bracket and holder you can't beat the quality. But it doesn't look like it will work if you have a case on. I don't want to have to remove it from the case to put it in the holder. And to get the set up it will cost as much as the phone. The one I have works just like the pro clip holder as far as sliding the phone in but I can leave the Verizon ribbed case on it .

17. jason721

jason721 New Member

I have the ribbed verizon clip on my phone, and purchased an Iphone holder made by Speck from Target. The mount has great suction, and works great using the dash disk or the window in my Explorer. The cases that come with the kit do not work, but they give you little plastic square pieces. I used the square that has high strength tape, along with a little high quality glue to mount the square to the back of my case. I use the window disk mounted to my dash, and it can sit up or telescope out for ease reach, and it rotates. I think it was a great buy for $20.

18. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

Can you take some pics of it in action? Want to see how it looks with an Eris in it. Thanks

19. Zerethusta

Zerethusta Well-Known Member

20. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

You need to setup a website to sell these then. Cuz that looks very interesting. Basic, to the point. Dont need flashy for this.

21. trau

trau Active Member

Just got this in the mail today and love it. Pics don't show it but it comes with a bracket attachement to hook to your car vent, which is surprisingly secure. Holds the Eris very snugly and all the buttons and access points are open and easy to get to.

22. csetheridge

I bought mine at Walmart for less than $20. It is very secure. I like the way the phone slides in and out...not having to release any spring loaded buttons!

23. trau

trau Active Member

Oh, and I should note that I have the ribbed case/holster combo sold by Verizon. Very snug!

24. BiggusDiccus

BiggusDiccus Active Member

I got this from e-bay:
    Universal Car Windshield Vent Holder Mount Cell Phone - eBay (item 250585650672 end time Mar-24-10 21:52:53 PDT)
    It took about 2 weeks to get here since it was shipped from Hong Kong. It cost ONE DOLLAR!!!!! Plus a couple bucks for shipping. I really like it because it holds the phone close instead of sticking it out where it can vibrate and get bumped. i ordered two just incase...and because they were ONE DOLLAR!!! I had an adjustable one from Amazon that was $15 but I like this one better. The $15 holder pressed the volume down button when it was in the holder, I cut part of the rubber out to make it fit...but the ONE DOLLAR holder clamps down lower, and it has staggered clamp pads that stick out in the front of the phone just a bit to hold it in place better.
    It's far better than the $15 holder...and did I mention it was ONE DOLLAR!!!!!!