Car Phone HolderAccessories

Last Updated:

1. toadstools

toadstools Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hey all you desirables..

just thought i'd update you on the suction type car holder i received today.. it was advertised on ebay as 'htc desire' specific and "only one on ebay" ! arrived boxed and labeled 'nexus one'!:mad: very tight fitting and sharp plastic edges that will scratch the soft back cover of your phones (i managed to buff the scratches out as was very careful fitting my phone in)
    item number so you know: 350344927919 ..was only a tenner but gonna send it back out of principle or find one with the cushioning on the arms:(

Advertisement
  2. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

I bought this one

3. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

I bought this one

4. toadstools

hey ofi..thanks, the link didn't work but found it anyway with 'grip it' search..looks ok and similar to another i've just looked at...

5. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

There are a few sellers that sell that one. I went for that one and not similar ones because it specifically says it can do both orientations. Some of the others don't appear to have any support for holding it in landscape.

Don't know why this forum kills ebay links..

6. iynCognito

iynCognito Well-Known Member

OFI, interested in the Grip-it as it says it comes with an air vent attachment (much better position in my car). Does it look like it will fit securely and not destroy the vent when removing?

7. bazlington

bazlington Well-Known Member

I've installed a Sony MEX 3700U headunit with a Brodit Active Cradle. I play tunes and make/recieve phonecalls seamlessly via bluetooth. Works very well.

8. SurfXombie

SurfXombie Well-Known Member

For your main car it has to be Brodit.
    However, as I have to use hire cars for work then a good suction based holder is nice to have.

9. Good Old Bakes

Good Old Bakes Well-Known Member

I bought one of those and it seems fine to me. Mine doesn't have any sharp plastic edges or anything and I'm quite happy with it, especially for the price. I would much rather have a tight fit than a loose fit where I'm going to be worried about the phone popping out of the holder every time you go over a bump.

10. toadstools

you're right good old bakes..it is very snug and not gonna fall out, i just didn't want it scratching the soft back cover.. the nexus is slightly smaller in depth and width measurements to the desire.

11. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Interesting...

Mine does NOT have an air vent mount. Can't help you there but I wonder if mine was supposed to have one!

12. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

Got this for a fiver on Play.com. Plugs directly into the cig lighter.

Might not be suitable for all cars, but great in mine... :)

[​IMG]

13. toadstools

nice one banzibarn..good pic! (by the way..clean your screen you naughty boy!!)

14. Banzibarn

I know - I Normal clean it all the time, but it didn't look bad when I took the shot, I guess the camera just showed it up :p

The screen protector doesn't help either, need to get a none smudge one!

15. iceled

iceled Member

16. toadstools

:Dhehe..by the way, which screen protector did you fit bud?

17. Banzibarn

Just a cheap

18. gmarkj

gmarkj Well-Known Member

Got one off amazon - modern tech suction holder with charger - for about

19. simonpa

simonpa Member

Hi,
    I bought a FoneM8 one from Amazon last week.
    This being:
    FoneM8 - HTC Desire PREMIUM Dedicated Windscreen Mount: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Seems good so far. Very solid and strong suction. Came next day as well.

I know it's a bit pricer than other kits, but it is specifically for the Desire and I wanted one that was seemingly well built and wouldn't fall of the window.

I haven't tried the car charger whilst using navigation but intend to test that tomorrow to see if the phone can maintain it's charge whilst using GPS as I know this can be an issue with some chargers.

20. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

21. simon1

simon1 Well-Known Member

That's exactly the same as the one I ordered. I'm away for a week so will get it when I get back. A question: I was worried about the clip at the top rubbing against the camera lens and scratching it. Is there a problem you can see?

22. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

23. BigRhino

BigRhino Member

Just received the same one today, the phone fits very well with plenty of room, no danger of any scratching of the case.

24. HTC_Desire

HTC_Desire Well-Known Member

I bought the one from mobilefun and I honestly can't imagine a better fitting holder. Feels so solid, and just looks so damn neat. Best money I have spent on an accessory methinks. Even comes with a car charger:

HTC Desire Car Pack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. simonpa

simonpa Member

Sorry not to get back earlier.
    Actually that isn't something I'd considered and I suppose the clip is a bit close to the camera lens, but not actually touching it from what I can see. I might stick a bit of foam onto the clip though just as a precaution.

Regarding using this as a phone holder and for navigation, I am extremely pleased. The holder was solid and secure on the window and whilst using GPS the phone kept charging and reported that it was charging using AC, so was drawing more power than when charging using USB. I have read reports that some usb chargers only charge using a USB charge, something like 0.5 Amps and that this isn't enough for a Desire to maintain it's charge (never mind actually charging the battery) whilst using GPS for navigation.

I suppose a small gripe would be the USB cable isn't very long so the holder could only be in the middle of the screen above the power outlet, but that's fine for me and if you're bothered about having the holder on one side I'm sure you could buy an extension. Given the price and it's performance I'm extremely happy.