Car Stereo Hands-Free Bluetooth Problems?

Last Updated:

1. PGR

PGR Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Blaupunkt Melbourn car stereo with the Blaupunkt USB/Bluetooth Interface installed in my car and it used to work just fine with my Sprint Mogul and Touch Pro, but I can't seem to make it work with my Hero. When I pair the two, the radio only recognizes the Hero as an audio source and not as a phone. In other words, I assume I can stream music from the phone to the radio but I can't answer the phone with it. I should add that the connection icon shows up as audio headphones instead of a phone handset in the Bluetooth Devices screen.

And this is just the opposite of what I need. I could care less whether I can stream music, but I need to be able to use the car radio as a hands-free device and as I wrote in the last paragraph, the radio worked perfectly in that capacity with my last two phones.

So does anyone have any idea whether this is a phone problem or a stereo problem? Does anyone have any idea if there's a work-around? For that matter, does anyone have any helpful information at all?

Thanks!

Pete

Advertisement
  2. drawing infinity

drawing infinity Member

it's probably a stereo problem, as i can pair my hero to my car stereo with no problems.

(well, one problem. the stereo doesn't read the people app, so the numbers just show up naked.)

3. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

great taste.. i loved BLAU since the mid 80's i have used their gear. one of my cars had BLAU subs, speakers and HU.. i loved the security alarm feature on them..

ok..

the HU needs to have the proper bluetooth stack protocol in order to recognize any device as a handsfree device. if you still have have the owners manual reference that to see if it specifically states it can use devices handsfree. there may also be a section on your HU you can go to to "turn on" or activate handsfree. searching the web and also mayabe a call into BLAU themselves or to their website may yield faster answers than here.

let me ask kindly.. were you able to use a phone in HF mode before you got the hero on your HU?

4. PGR

This is where this gets a bit troublesome for me: I don't know the proper lingo to discribe Bluetooth profiles, but let me try again:

When I paired my Mogul and Touch Pro to the Blaupunkt I'd get two little icons in the Bluetooth devices screen (on the phone) - One which looked like stereo headphones and another which looked like a telephone receiver. I don't use my cell phones as music players so I never once tried to play music through the Blaupunkt, but I assumed that the headphones icon was telling me that I could have.

I also assumed that the telephone receiver icon was telling me that I could use the Blaupunkt as a hands-free device and indeed I could. An incoming call would mute the stereo and pushing the answer button on the dash would answer the phone. I could also activate voice dialing and redial the last number and all those other typical "hands-free" functions by pressing the button on the dash.

But when I pair my Hero to the Blaupunkt, it only shows up as a headphones icon and I have no hands-free functionality. My regular bluetooth headset (Motorola HX1) shows up as a telephone receiver and does work as a hands-free device, though.

So what I think is happening is my Hero recognizes my Blaupunkt as an audio device and just stops there instead of also recognizing it as a hands-free device too and I'd like to know why.

Pete

5. Stocklone

Stocklone Active Member

I don't know if this helps or not. But I have a lot of issues with my bluetooth and my car hands free unit. I found that if I go to the bluetooth settings, then turn the bluetooth on and off until I can get the settings to say phone and media are connected instead of just media that everything works the way it should. I haven't found out the exact order of turning on the bluetooth and turning on the hands free unit to make it work without turning it on and off multiple times. But this at least makes it usable.

6. PGR

I talked to Blaupunkt tech support yesterday and they've received quite a few calls about Android devices having trouble connecting to car stereos as hands-free devices. He also said the problem isn't exclusive to Blaupunkt or HTC products and he had no answer or work-around. But he did say that he thinks the problem only applies to Android v.1.5 and earlier devices.

So now I have reason to drum my fingers again while I wait for the v.2.0 upgrade we've been promised. Thankfully I have a brand spankin' new Motorola Endeavor HX1 headset to tide me over, but I'm looking forward to the day that I don't have to keep it plugged into the side of my head when I'm driving.

Pete

7. Alcaron

Alcaron Active Member

I've not bothered trying it with my AVIC-F700BT yet, that thing even had "issues" with the iPhone I previously had. LOVE the head unit though, got it primarily for a touchscreen iPod interface. But man on man, every other update the thing would have issues. One update it just decided it wouldn't play music while the iphone was connected because it suddenly saw it as a headset and not a phone, so it would try to play music over the phone, which, btw, didn't work lol.

*shrug* even some OEM BT systems have notable issues...guess it's just part of the deal.

8. dornier

dornier Well-Known Member

Bluetooth Car Kit = Parrot Mki 9100 with latest firmware as of 11/22/09

Issue: Sprint Hero doesn't connect consistently and when it connects sometimes handsfree works fine, but not AD2P. I can always get AD2P to work by turning the Hero's bluetooth off then on.

Previous phone was a Palm Pre and I had no problems with the Parrot system.

GP

9. drawing infinity

drawing infinity Member

you know, since the update, i've been having trouble. all of a sudden, it mainly will only connect for media. i usually have to turn on bluetooth, then reboot before it will connect to the phone audio. this has only been a problem post update.

10. slydog64

slydog64 Member

try this:Menu>Settings>Wirelees Controls>Bluetooth settings> long press on your bluetooth device in the list, this will bring up a box w/ more choices, choose "options" there you can check boxes for media audio and phone audio, both or individual choices can be picked. I sometimes use a separate bluetooth headset, while having the phone media(streaming music) to my radio head unit. I will say sometimes I still have problems connecting. If I have phone audio and media going to radio, sometimes incoming calls do not go to bluetooth in radio, sometimes it will connect. Haven't figured it out yet.

11. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

I had the opposite problem than PGR, my Kenwood DNX6140 would not play nice with my Touch Pro no matter what I tried, but it works flawlessly with my Sprint Hero.

I would defintely look at a different head unit if bluetooth is important to you, in the early 90's Blaupunkt went from being a high-end audiophile product to a mass-market item. Not to say it is bad, it's just not the quality it used to be.

12. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

:eek: