• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Car stereo USB & Bluetooth

Hello fellow Android fans,

I have a t-mobile G1, and an old car ('93 Jeep Wrangler). Ideally, I'd like to get a new stereo that will allow me to charge my phone, play mp3's, listen to other system audio (Pandora, driving directions, etc.), and take calls (built in mic, sound through speakers).

I know that Bluetooth can do the music, audio and calls, but it drains the battery. I have no problem plugging in a USB, but as far as I know, that will only charge the phone and play music (not phone calls and other audio). The only way to do everything is to plug in the USB AND connect via Bluetooth.

This doesn't make sense to me! Isn't this ridiculously redundant? If I already have a wired USB, why would I need a second connection? I know it's physically possible because my phone came with a USB headset that offers phone and system audio through earbuds, and has microphone, and obviously I charge it by USB. Even if there's a limitation on the car hardware, wouldn't it be as simple as writing a program for the phone that routs phone and system audio through it's means of playing mp3s over the car's stereo (thus "tricking the stereo into thinking it's just playing music)?

Any insight you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

-Nathan

This doesn't make sense to me! Isn't this ridiculously redundant? If I already have a wired USB, why would I need a second connection? I know it's physically possible because my phone came with a USB headset that offers phone and system audio through earbuds, and has microphone, and obviously I charge it by USB.
No, it's not. Most devices don't output audio via USB even though yours does. For most devices USB only allows access to music files on the SD card if the head unit supports mass storage devices. It's not the same at all as A2DP.

Be careful assuming trends based on a single data point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones