Car USB not charging NexusSupport

Last Updated:

1. aznkiller908

aznkiller908 Member

So I have a dual USB port charger in my car and it does not charge my Nexus. I have tested and the charger does charge for my ipod touch when plugged it. Could it be the 3rd party usb wire I am using? Because I had no problems charging my OG droid before. Any input would be appreciated since I need to charge my phone while at school since I heavily use my phone during my 2-3 hour breaks.

Advertisement
  2. stenzor

stenzor Well-Known Member

Sounds like something is wrong with either the charger or the cord indeed. Maybe the OG droid required less power so the charger worked ok? Get a car charger that outputs at 1 Amp, then your phone will charge at AC speeds.
  3. aznkiller908

aznkiller908 Member

4. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Amazon has them much cheaper...

Note: to check if a charger is charging at 1 amp

plug in your phone and open up the battery menu under settings

at the top if it says

Charging (USB) its charging at .5 amps
    Charging (A/C) its charging at 1 amp
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

Not totally true. I have my GNex plugged into an OG Droid charger that runs at .85 amps and it says Charging (A/C):confused:. Maybe > .5 amps it gives the AC message as USB only charges at .5.
  6. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

True, I should of qualified my answer with the limitation of the charger. If the charger doesn't output 1 amp the phone won't charge at 1 amp...

The A/C - USB indicator is a "USB SPEC" thing. to keep devices from drawing to much power, if its plugged into a USB source the device will self limit to (.5 amp)

My understanding, is the way the device tells is it checks the middle 2 pins, if there shorted it, it knows its connected to a power source that can charge at higher then .5 amps.(and shows A/C)

If you google you can find many examples of people that have "hacked" chargers that aren't wired properly.
    Unforgiven likes this.
  7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

Neat, learned something new today! :D
  8. yoyohere2

yoyohere2 Well-Known Member

use the USB cable that came with the phone. Then you can tell if it is the USB cable or the car charger.