Car USB port and EVO

Last Updated:

1. apexis

apexis Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone who already has an EVO tried plugging in into a car with an integrated USB port? My car has one and even though marketing calls it the 'iPod integration port' it works with thumb sticks and portable hard drives.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

If you mount it as a drive, it will most likely allow you to see your music just like it's a flash drive. As far as anything else, like phone access, that will depend on your car.

3. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

I have a kenwood receiver with a USB port that will play USB sticks and charge/play an iPhone. I hope it lets me at LEAST charge my EVO. That would be nice.

4. stroths

stroths Well-Known Member

I suspect it will charge, but it's hard to say how fast it will charge it without know how many mA it puts out. I recently bought a 1000mA cigarette lighter USB port from DealExtreme and its great for fast charges because it puts out so much juice.

5. erikivy

erikivy Well-Known Member

I'm hoping this is the case. My Honda Fit has a USB receptacle and one of my first experiments will be to see if it charges and if so, if it's sufficient to maintain the battery. Even if it charges VERY slowly (or just barely maintains voltage) I'll be happy. It means I'll be able to use navigation or stream music without needing to drag out the ciggy charger.

6. drakester

drakester Member

i have a HTC Hero (until Friday)
    my car has the ipod connection as well. The Hero does charge (very slowly) but when you plug it in the phone asks if you want to mount the device. select that and you can play your music. I am able to use the same controls as i did with my iPhone, even on the steering wheel. The only downfall is you cant access anything on the SD card from the phone... like if you were trying to open your photo gallery it would say SD card in use. But thats not a big deal.

Also i dont think playlists work or sorting by genre.

Should be the same on the Evo...