Car Use Questions

Last Updated:

1. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

1. Can anyone recommend a good windshield mount for this phone? I prefer to have something that holds it horizontally (FYI I will be using the seido LE case if that makes a difference).

2. Does anyone know of a way to auto (or manually) rotate the existing desktop without installing a whole new desktop software? I like my phone as it is, and when I put it in the car mount I want it to rotate my desktop... without getting rid of the stock Sense setup. Does anyone know of a program that can enable this? I assume that it is a possible because my old Samsung Moment would rotate the stock homescreen when the keyboard was pulled out, and only when the keyboard was pulled out.:confused:

3. Does anyone know if there is a difference in power between charging through a USB cable via computer connection, or charging through a USB cable via car outlet?

4. What is the most efficient way to do speech to text for SMS messaging? I haven't really gotten into exploring it yet, but I am curious if it's simple enough to do while behind the wheel.

5. Just curious what are people using as a SMS text to speech app?

Advertisement
  2. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

3:

The EVO will draw a maximum of 1000ma (1 amp) over any USB, be it PC, A/C, or car charger.

Generally, computers will stop at the USB spec of 500ma, but some computers will go higher (they're not required to). There's no way to tell without trying.

Car chargers can range wildly, so check what they are capable of outputting. Obviously you want as close to 1amp/1000ma as you can get. Anything above that is irrelevant.

CriticalCritic likes this.
  3. CriticalCritic

bump

4. rcubed3r

rcubed3r Well-Known Member

Lorak, Caloy and CriticalCritic like this.
  5. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

6. evojoel

evojoel Well-Known Member

7. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

8. nyczducky

nyczducky Active Member

1. You would probably need a universal car mount. People above posted some links.

2. As of this moment, I don't think there is. I would like to know too lol

3. That depends on what you are using. Check the product information on the car charger. Make sure it complies with the specifications in the manual for the Evo. I use a surge protector Cig Lighter > 120V Outlet adapter + USB.

4+5. Go to the Android Market and download Handcent. Start a text to someone and then hit Menu > Speak. Its surprisingly accurate. But its not a 100% handsfree solution. Like you can't say, "Text CONTACT" and it will open a text to that person. You have to like stop at a red light, quickly select your contact or contacts (you can batch text) and then hit Menu > Speak and then talk.

9. CriticalCritic

Bump

10. harleyless

harleyless Well-Known Member

3. Chargers will vary. Most will be in the 500mA range which is fine.

4. Do us all a favor and dont text and drive! Even if its voice to text...

11. CriticalCritic

I wasn't planning on texting and driving... Ever. But you're asking me not to talk on the phone and drive? As I thought I had made quite clear, I'm really only interested in the speech to text if it's simple enough to do behind the wheel. Meaning, if I have to take my eyes off the road then what difference is there? I'm not risking my life to send a message. I appreciate the concern, but if it's simple enough to do behind the wheel then there is little to no difference between using it and talking on the phone.

12. harleyless

harleyless Well-Known Member

You still need to confirm (read) what you said in the voice to text or you will send some weird message you didnt intend. Voice to text works, but it doesnt like background noise (like driving), it isnt alwasy accurate, and you still need to push buttons to achieve a text entry.

Good Luck!

13. Carl6

Carl6 Well-Known Member

Drive and drive. Doing anything else at the same time kills people. Hands free does not help, it is the conversation, not the hand, that is distracting. Nothing is so important that it can't wait until you can safely stop the car out of traffic to deal with it.

14. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

15. CriticalCritic

You're telling me you never talk on the phone while driving? You NEVER have a conversation with anyone else in your car? You never ever talk to the driver when someone else is driving? No? Hypocrite.

Now can I please get some help with questions 2, 4 and 5?

16. Lorak

Lorak Well-Known Member