Carbon Fiber 4G BackTips

1. mikevember

mikevember Well-Known Member

Since I am terrible with PaintShop/Gimp and all the image editing nonsense I had a buddy from work slap up a render of one. It looks great. I have the 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl and as soon as I get the Evo I will put it together to make a beautiful device even nicer. It is not the flat CF it is the textured kind.

[​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
  2. cesjr02

cesjr02 Well-Known Member

looks sharp, I like
  3. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

this looks cool. how would you apply something like that to the back, though? please educate :D
  4. mikevember

Heat and an exacto knife, its really simple, a guy on precentral.net did it with his Pre. I saw it and bought some, and decided to wait to apply it on my EVO in June. The 4"x8" sample is $8 with free shipping on this website 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fiber Vinyl : Carbon Fiber Gear
    SniperDroid and mrvirginia like this.
  5. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

6. cesjr02

How would you do the speaker holes, thumb tack?
  7. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

travisr528 likes this.
  8. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

9. S.meezy

S.meezy Well-Known Member

Why not get it custom molded out of CF? LOL

On a serious note, great idea, I hope you won't mind if I borrow your idea.
  10. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Actually, I'd be careful about using real CF. My friend who has an iPhone got an authentic CF back cover and when he has it on, the CF (for whatever reason) messes with his signal. As soon as he takes it off, the signal is fine. It's really strange.
  11. S.meezy

S.meezy Well-Known Member

Really?! LOL Damn carbon...
  12. cesjr02

I want a back made from a Faraday cage, would that work? :p
    stroths likes this.
  13. drexappeal

Yeah, I'm completely serious. He even showed me and we kept scratching our heads wondering why the hell it would block any signal.

He ended up buying the plastic carbon fiber looking case and it worked fine. As nice as his dry-carbon case looked (especially cuz it was authentic), it was really a strange phenomena to see it f' up a cell signal.

To go further, we were even taking into consideration cars that have lots of carbon fiber, including the frame (e.g. Mitsu EVO, Mclaren SLR, etc...) and wondering how that wouldn't mess up signal if a little case could.
  14. mikevember

the idea is open source I'll post real pics in june.
    S.meezy likes this.
  15. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

For $8, I'm going to order the sample sheet for myself and attempt to do this. A few of my friends do Carbon Fiber overlaying for car parts as a business/career and make good money out of it.

I personally have never tried it, but I guess this is a good thing to give it a try on.
  16. SniperDroid

SniperDroid Well-Known Member

Looks pretty sharp!
  17. jmorse

jmorse Well-Known Member

Looks great. Neat idea.
  18. septro

septro Well-Known Member

CF looks hot - i doubt anyone would mass produce a dry-CF replacement for the back but vinyl can work/look as good if done right.
  19. drexappeal

I may try to get an extra back cover for the phone at some point and see if I can wrap it. I'll post results if I try it out.
  20. Jimmy Burns

Jimmy Burns Member

Maybe look into hydro dipping if you want something truely different. Carbon fiber look, skulls, currency, pretty cool stuff. This guy does a lot of automotive stuff on another site that I belong to. The only downfall is your without the back of the case for awhile. If the battery door can be purchased reasonably, I think I'm going to go for it with a skull pattern.

These can also be layered and different base colors used. So you can have the skulls on a blue background or whatever. In the one pic you can see he did flames over the carbon print. If you live in the right areas, you maybe able to find someone that does this stuff locally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BigdaddyPooh likes this.
  21. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

Wow that looks really cool.
  22. katmandoo122

katmandoo122 Well-Known Member

OK...I ordered it. When I can buy an extra back, I'm going to try this too. CF on the back and maybe a Phantom Skinz on the front is a cool way to protect the new investment!
  23. MajorHavoc

MajorHavoc Member

That looks great! Thanks for posting about this 3M stuff!
    I can think of a lot of things I might want to slap some 3M carbon fiber on! lol
  24. Sherman901

Sherman901 Well-Known Member

So would you make more and sell them? I'd be interested in buying it.
  25. mikevember

Its apparently super easy to do, I will do one and work out the kinks and then try and make a simple walkthrough guide/video to make it easier for everyone looking to do the same.

I dont think I can honestly charge people and make a profit on putting a "sticker" on the back of a phone. I dont think I will have the time to handle tons of requests for them either.
    travisr528 likes this.