Cardio Trainer/Run/GPS app?General

Last Updated:

1. bweave

bweave Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone out there using an app that has accurate distances? Cardio Trainer seems to be off by about 1/3 mile over a 3 mile run...

Advertisement
  2. wilceaux

wilceaux Well-Known Member

1/3 of a mile seems awfully bad. This may be a dumb question, but are you sure your GPS was enabled? Was it a really cloudy day, under a tree canopy, etc.?

My Tracks is a pretty good alternative.

madhatter1689 likes this.
  3. false_apology

false_apology Well-Known Member

I like SportyPal a lot, but lately it seems wonky too... might just be the Eris' GPS is finicky. I also heard RunStar is good, but haven't tried it yet; going to this weekend. Also heard good things about Endomondo, but again, haven't tried it.

4. bweave

Clear day - wide open streets - GPS was enabled. Not the first time I have had this type of discrepancy although, after working with the dev, I tweaked some settings that minimized the inaccuracy...

5. droidhiker

droidhiker Active Member

I have used Cardio Trainer and My Tracks. I prefer Cardio Trainer and have been using it most of the time. I haven't seen discrepancies that big though.

6. bweave

Droidhiker - what are your settings? Maybe I have something off somewhere that I am missing.

7. droidhiker

droidhiker Active Member

I have the frequency at 1 sec, Filter level is set at "good" and my stride length is 39in. These are all under GPS/Pedometer Settings. CardioTrainer shows my run today as 2.5 and Google Maps show it as 2.47 so I can accept that.

bweave likes this.
  8. bweave

Thanks Droid Hiker - my settings were the same and my discrepancies were greater. The dev told me to lower and it is now more accurate.

I was told by the dev that when the GPS is used, stride length does not factor - you probably knew that but sharing what I know.

9. John58543

John58543 Well-Known Member

I've tried two apps recently

Endomondo - like the tracking but seemed to be a little off on the total distance...its got a lot of good stuff to use for running, walking, cycling, skating, mountain biking, etc

FitRoid - only have a trial period....but has a lot of good info about fitness, gives a calendar to setup a workout program and meal plan, and even has a nutrition tool to help find out what the nutritional facts are of a variety of common foods...

10. droidhiker

droidhiker Active Member

I was not aware of that I just haven't had any issues yet. I use it for cycling also and haven't had any major discrepancies. I haven't run over 3 miles yet (just started back up) so when I do I will make sure to see how accurate it is.

11. galileo01

galileo01 Member

I have been using Cardiotrainer used good and exact with accurate results within 2/100ths of my bike and car odometer and google maps. I had a long run that had about 3/4 mile missing from my loop (lost satellite?).

I contacted VidaOne (MySportTraining) (I use their PC software to record my cardio and strength work outs)and they said they were developing an app for release soon I am sure it won't be free.

12. artzyfartzy68

artzyfartzy68 New Member

CardioTrainer has been accurate for me up until lately,but my GPS on my phone seems to be malfunctioning b/c my Navigation isn't working, either.

13. haveadaytoday

haveadaytoday Active Member

What are you guys using to hold your phone while running? I've been sticking with the iPod because I have a great protective case and armband that keeps it in place and dry. I would love to run with my Eris but I haven't found a good armband yet.

14. funkpod

funkpod Well-Known Member

hey, thread resurrection.

I usually run w/ my old ipod case and my Incredible fits in that nicely. i don't like armbands. I also run w/ it attached to my fuel belt sometimes, too.

sportypal pro seemed pretty good, i dont' know how accurate it was, though, just because if i'm running on the outside of a track loop, and someone else is running on the inside of a track loop, the distance can be very off. plus, who knows how and where exactly the points are that google maps uses to measure distance? the exact middle of the road? i know i can't run there, so i run on the side of the road.

i like how cardio trainer will let you output at custom distances.

15. slhenderson87

slhenderson87 Member

I too have noticed errors. I use runstar. Measured mile (measured three times with wheel and google maps). App reports 1.1 first lap and 2.2 on second. Cariotrainer shows 1.25 miles.

16. jaym

jaym Member

I use HandyRunner. You can export the files or it also uploads straight to RunningAHEAD where I keep a training log. Haven't checked it against my Garmin yet.

17. jerryrp

jerryrp Member

18. driverx125

driverx125 Well-Known Member

u know what will take care of this. Just get a droid x or a droid 2. Stay away from htc

19. pondguy

pondguy Member

I use JogTracker. Seems pretty accurate for me.

20. miatadawn

miatadawn New Member

Check out tunebelt.com. They make a case for larger phones such as the HTC Evo.

21. bweave

Would recommend seidio.com for their holster. I know many people bag on Seidio for their batteries but I have used their holsters for years with my phones and used my Eris/Seidio belt holster while training for and running a marathon.

22. Shakes The AssClown

Shakes The AssClown Active Member

I am using Runkeeper....this works great for me.

23. jerryrp

jerryrp Member

I use cardio trainer regularly and use a program that runs in the background before starting CT. It's called tracker booster. Keeps the GPS locked on and has greatly improved my tracking.

Located in the market.

lakeside and cmccmc like this.
  24. funkpod

funkpod Well-Known Member

thanks for the recommendation on tracker booster, will check it out!

25. rudyshy

rudyshy New Member

hi folks

im using sportstracker is maybe best one so far for me. Lot of stats including wheatear and attitude distance time etc. but interface/looks of web page is poor :(
    PS: when yo uare connected maps are downloaded for you location. then u can used without e-connection

if yo u are looking something easy runkkeeper is great but it is really simple only speed/att./track... and in app. on your phone there are showed just basic infos. during exercising maps are working only when u have e connection

sportypal is good smthg between sportracker and runkkeper but it have one big minus.. u have to wait for GPS singnal.. till then u are not able to run recording. SAD

PS1: sorry for my bad english but ...

are u using smtg else .. can u compare?