CardioTrainer & MyTracks in NYC

Last Updated:

1. drew879

drew879 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone use these apps and get accurate distance results? It makes sense that the apps' accuracy can only be as good as the GPS signal, but for me they haven't even been close when my signal strength is very strong. After a 3 or 4 mile jog, I could use the results to decipher what my path was, but the distances are way off. A 3 mile run (calculated using gmap-pedometer.com) showed up as almost 4 miles. The reason is because the app tracks my route as zig-zagging back and forth across the street rather than showing the straight line I actually took.

I live in New York City and I wouldn't expect it to work well in areas with lots of tall buildings, but the accuracy doesn't appear to improve at all when I'm all the way out on the West Side Highway with no tall buildings nearby.

Anyone have any better luck? Are there settings that I should change? I am using the stock settings, which appear to be leaning towards the more accurate / higher battery drain end of the spectrum. Both of these apps have so much potential and could be very useful tools, but being off by more than .01 or .02 miles per mile would render them useless to me.

Advertisement
  2. TsiTravis

TsiTravis Member

I had this problem a couple times and i did the following....

I changed the frequency with which the GPS updates. By updating the GPS every second or so instead of multiple times per second it was able to chart the track significantly better. This shouldn't affect your run, assuming you don't actually zigzag within a second.

Also, i changed the gps signal strength settings. I decreased the needed signal strength and noticed that it did not loose the signal during my runs.

Lastly, i restart my phone before i open cardiotrainer. That seems to help prevent it from incurring any glitches during my run.

Best of luck.

drew879 likes this.
  3. jdawg0024

jdawg0024 Well-Known Member

I use endomondo and really accurate results. Although this program is strictly GPS .

4. sarspants

sarspants Well-Known Member

I actually found mytracks to be very accurate when I use it for driving. When I was first testing it, I made it a point to drive a max of 45mph and my results came back as 44.74mph. The last two tracks I made were 13.7 miles according to Google maps and 13.87 according to my tracks. (I figure the extra .17 is a result of driving around the parking lot, backing out of my driveway, and google maps rounding to the nearest tenth). The other was 14.1 with Google maps and 14.22 with my tracks.

5. drew879

drew879 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I can see how these programs would be more accurate for driving and long distances. The reason my results are proportionally so screwed up is because zig-zagging across the road 50 feet at a time makes a huge difference when the total trip is only 3 miles. I'm sure the fact that I'm moving so much slower than a car and collecting more erratic results contributes as well. I'll mess around with all the GPS tracking apps available and report back with results. So far they all seem so pretty much suck while moving about in the city.

On a side note, does anyone know if there's an app out there that saves your track AND your times at each data point? It seems like SportyPal might do this based on their Web UI but I will confirm when I've had a chance to try it. It would be nice to review a map after a 5 mile run and be able to click at any point on it and see my time at that point, then click a mile after that point and see the time there so I can tell how fast that particular mile was. I'm surprised they don't all do this considering they all keep track of time anyway. Ideally I'd like to be able to edit my track like I can with My Tracks (by dragging around the dots that form the line) AND also have time data at each point.

6. kilikas

kilikas Active Member

Yes, you can do this on the Sportypal web after uploading the workout to their community, can select manually the checkpoints SportyPal Community | Upload your workouts, share the results with your friends

7. EgeBamyasi

EgeBamyasi Well-Known Member

I use it with my cycling & training and get very acurrate results. I have two seperate bike computers on my bike also, a Polar 720i and a Blackburn that are both calibrated to my wheelbase and rolling resistance. All three come within aprox. 1/10th accuarcy of each other. This has been with rides totaling 20 miles or greater. The sample frequency does seem to make a difference so try adjusting it and see if this makes a difference.