Careful where you walk

Last Updated:

1. Charlie81

Charlie81 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A little story for you all.
    I was walking down the street and bumped into a fire hydrant. It was a mild hit, didn't think anything of it. I continued my walk, arrived at my destination and checked the time. Strange, my phone was off... tried to turn it on nothing. Pulled the battery out, waited, popped it back in and tried again. Then again... nothing. My phone is completely dead. Wait a day, its still dead. My Droid X is completely useless. Nothing happens, I mean nothing, zero. no screen flicker. Hopefully my insurance will cover this. But fair warning, be careful! this thing is delicate as crap!

Advertisement
  2. schizrade

schizrade Well-Known Member

And you know it died due to impact how?

3. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

+1

What happens when you try to go into recovery or into the boot screen anything?

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Without more information it sounds more like a single faulty phone as opposed to a design defect in all DX phones.

5. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

BS,
    Dropped mine full on hard concrete driveway enough to damage the metal corner. That's signifigantly more shock than your minor bump (if that was even the case).

Phone still works perfectly.

Did you forget to mention that when bumping into the fire hydrant, it went off and filled your phone pocket with 25,000 gallons of water? Then your story would be believable.

kriscad likes this.
  6. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

Joking aside ;) It doesn't sound like he was using the phone during the event. If he was, he would have noticed the problem right away.

7. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

I'll take your word for it, I almost accidently lean on my phone when it's in my pocket and freak out. As long as the screen isn't cracked your insurance should cover it without a copay/deposit/whatever it's called.

8. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I always keep the screen next to me and not pointed out.

9. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

I do the same, but I'm still paranoid lol.

10. AMDXP

AMDXP Well-Known Member

I assume you tried plugging it in and letting it charge? If I'm not mistaken this phone will not turn back when fully discharged, but not until there is at least a 10 or 15% charge will it turn back on.

I do believe this was discussed when the phone first come out.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

The real question should be: How did you run into a fire hydrant? They are painted bright colors for a reason. :eek:

kriscad likes this.
  12. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

sorry bro :(

13. deemedic

deemedic Active Member

Yeah I know I was really surprised when my phone first went from having some battery left to a dead not turning back on situation right before my eyes almost. I thought I broke it too!

I would plug it in and see what happens. I dropped mine and nothing happened and that was with a silicone case but face down on a store concrete floor. Not a scratch on the screen or anything.

14. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

i just lol'd so hard that had i been drinking milk, it would have come out my nose.

15. Quintessence

Quintessence Well-Known Member

I minor bump can kill it. I've dealt with it before. Only with an Eris and a table. Hit it in the right spot and it can break

16. Gummibands

Gummibands Well-Known Member

I was sitting here doing my college homework and I lolled and a teacher slammed a door. Hahaha. It's easy to run into fire hydrants, kinda like people run into cars. Maybe you need to utilize the SMS app that uses your camera to film where your walking and uses that as a background.

17. OrderFromChaos

OrderFromChaos Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing until I reread the OP. He wasn't using the phone when he ran into the hydrant.

But, if anyone is interested in the SMS app that uses your camera so you can walk here it is:

[​IMG]

18. Amiroquai

Amiroquai Member

Crap is not that delicate.

On a more serious note:
    I dropped my hard shell case protected (VZW holster/shell combo) while it was charging, from my bad onto a very well padded carpet.
    The less than two feet drop managed to mess up my touchscreen overlay to the point of it being very jittery, but only when plugged in.
    It also managed to mess up the entire row of hard buttons, which now work randomly.
    My replacement X is due in a couple of weeks.

Just another freak accident.

19. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Plug it in for an hour. The battery is probably dead.

20. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Don't tell verizon you impacted the phone. Just say it stopped working. They're exchange the phone free of charge. It shouldn't have died with what you you described.

21. Charlie81

HA!!
    I wish this was BS. I'm not offended in the lest. I just read every bodies replys. Yes the battery is charged. Yes I plugged it in and checked. I get absolutely nothing when I try to turn it on. The screen was facing me, the hydrant hit the back of the phone. There is some minor damage, to the outside. as to how I hit a hydrant, um, I'm a little clumsily I guess. It was early morning, just bumped into it, and kept walking nothing really special. I can't fathom a reason I would make this up... really. I'm not saying this phone sucked, I loved it. I'm pretty disappointed, I have insurance so I should be all set "I HOPE". I thought I'd share, and give people a warning, maybe. right next to the microphone, slightly below the removable back, is a sweet spot that kills your phone. I dunno... I'll try to post a youtube video for you if your not fully convinced.

I really laughed pretty hard when I saw this response. BS? oh man, a three year locked in a closet doesn't have this much paranoia...

oh and how do I KNOW it died because of the impact. Well I guess I didn't send out a team of scientist to investigate, so I'm not 100% here.
    Here is my resoning.
    1. phone was fully charged and working.
    2. I hit a fire hydrant with my leg, which contained a droid x in the front pocket.
    3. I pull the phone out of my pocket, and it doesn't work.
    4. there is a small dent, where the impact occurred

22. C0n57an71n3

C0n57an71n3 Well-Known Member

You must have been hauling ass to dent a metal phone in your pocket.

23. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Are there any signs of you bumping it? I honestly wouldn't go through insurance for this as phones are made to take a couple bumps. Sounds to me like it was already defective, maybe a loose connection or something and the bump jarred it. I'd take it into Verizon.

24. Charlie81

nope, Like I said, walked into it. walked, walked, walked. plus its not metal sorry. I misstyped... the dent is where the SPEAKER is, not the microphone. tap that part of the phone its plastic. Okay, I'm only a little surprised nobody believes me. Only a little. :p

seriously though, I damaged it. Its not a defect, I broke it... me, and my clumsy ass.

There is a dent. It is clear I hit something. its, let's say a half an inch long. not that big. I've gotten bigger dents on phones before...

25. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Damn. Must've been one of those things where you just happen to hit it at the right angle. Some people can drop a phone 6 feet onto concrete and it's fine, other's can drop it a foot onto carpet at the screen shatters. Oh well, insurance should cover you.