Carmount >>>> Break-in?Support

Last Updated:

1. lucybear06

lucybear06 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Do any of you ever worry that your windshield mount will cause a car break in? I just finished setting up a loooovely Arkon mount for my X....now I'm a bit worried.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I live in an apartment complex...not a ton of break-in's but I imagine it happens occasionally.

Advertisement
  2. wharpig

wharpig Well-Known Member

I dont have one for my Droid, but do for my GPS. I always take my mount off when I am not using it, 1 because it annoys me and 2 because I dont want some to break in and steal it.

3. esn

esn Well-Known Member

That's why I have insurance can't worry about everthing!

4. Nightwind Hawk

Nightwind Hawk Well-Known Member

I don't think it will cause any break-in if you keep your phone with you... are you planning on leaving it in the car??

5. lucybear06

lucybear06 Active Member This Topic's Starter

No, I wouldn't leave it in the car - but I was wondering if anyone had heard that an empty windshield mount would be especially attractive to theives.

I had never thought of it until I remembered that at the beginning of the summer, the Dean of my school sent out an email about a guy's car getting broken into - and that they thought his empty car mount made the robber think there must be a gps somewhere in the car.

6. masked

masked Member

what if your using it on your dashboard. will ppl break into your car seeing the plastic that stays on your dashboard that attaches to the suction cup?

7. wharpig

wharpig Well-Known Member

I live in a decent area and someone broke into my car and stole my GPS mount last year and a pair of sunglasses....after that I dont leave anything in sight.....their are alot of teenagers on the next block my guess is they wanted my shades and decided they would take my mount too, I dunno...

8. solidsnake4119

solidsnake4119 New Member

Don't ever leave a GPS Mount on the windshield. You never know when your car is going to get broken into... Is replacing your window worth it? When you could just take it off and put it into your glove compartment.

I got my car broken into when I left my GPS mount in the car. It's not a fun site to see your car broken into, especially when it was Christmas too. Can you believe that?

9. owen sixteen

owen sixteen Well-Known Member

Someone got a GPS car mount for Christmas!! :D

10. Crondar

Crondar Active Member

Yes, never leave the mount or anything in sight, it only tempts would be thieves and kids/teenagers that are being mischievous.

I live in a decent little community mostly have older folks around me, but some kids also. Anyway, the other day a cop stopped by the house and asked us to check our vehicles to see if anything was missing, seems some teenagers had been going around jiggling handles and swiping change and anything loose lying around. We were not missing anything, but apparently they said they looked in both our cars at the time, but my truck was not there they told the cop.

In any case, things happen and if you leave the mount in the window or out in the open, chances are, at some point, someone will try to break into your vehicle.

11. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

I have also heard that these thieves look for the "spot" that the suction mount leaves on the windshield, assume you just took it off and popped it under the seat or in the glove box, so they break in thinking it is worth a shot. Before I get to my destination, I take it off and wipe the glass with a rag I keep in the car.

12. Helicrewchief

Helicrewchief Well-Known Member

I actually had my truck broken into for the GPS that was attached to the windshield. He only wanted the unit left the mount attached to the windshield.

I wanted to post a huge sign saying "HEY A$$HOLE THAT STOLE MY GPS COME GET THE REST YOU LEFT BEHIND." But the wife didn't see the humor in it.

13. powderkegg

powderkegg Member

I would check with your insurance provider before being overly confident about making this statement. Any stories I've ever heard about vehicle insurance is that it is for the car and not the contents. You may be able to purchase a rider that protects the contents; cd's gps, clothes, whatever, but I wouldn't count on your stock policy covering contents. I use Erie insurance, and I purchase a rider for this from my agent. It's not much and worth the coverage.