Carphone Warehouse 2.1 is up!!! (A brief review of my upgrade process)General

Last Updated:

1. Bk2fut

Bk2fut Active Member This Topic's Starter

Upgraded last night, with hardly a hitch.

Backing stuff up was the only problem; I *hate* the LG PC Suite, and urge you to stay away from it at all costs.

It's slow, bloated, and it screwed up the USB drivers on my PC.

Before I installed the suite I was checking daily for updates with the official LG updater,with no problem. After I installed the Suite, it wouldn't recognise the phone.

Took a number of USB driver re-installs to get it to recognise it again.
    And to add insult to injury, the rubbish suite program didn't even work for me.

BTW; there's a great free app on the marketplace called SMS Backup & Restore.
    It'll back up all of your texts (not MMS though) to the SD card, and then restore them after the update.

Also be aware that 2.1, as standard, has the option enabled to delete txts over 200 in a thread. I lost a few, and had to re-restore using that app, after disabling the option in settings.

Also had some issues backing up my contacts. PC Suite just sat there stupidly, saying there was no connection to the phone.

BOUGHT an app (for $1 admittedly) that allegedly backed them up, but then it wasn't available to download in the marketplace. Assume it only works on 1.6. Had to export some partial contacts from another gmail account as vCard data, then import them to the phone from the SD Card. Sadly, all of my Favorites (for some reason) didn't copy over.

But, that being said, 2.1 is great, smooth, looks great, runs great, and the update procedure itself only took about 10mins max.

Hello Eclair!
    :cool:

Advertisement
  2. jporch316

jporch316 Well-Known Member

anyone else done the cpw update and got the number 1 in their notification bar - I cant seem to get rid of it?

3. grimus

grimus New Member

My CPW purchased phone upgraded fine with no number in the notification bar.

4. kevb

kevb New Member

Hi Bk2fut,

How did you do the upgrade? Did you use the LG update tool or did you do it manually some other way?

I have an unbranded GT540 from Carphone Warehouse but LG update tool still says my phone (running 1.6) is up to date. I'd prefer to do the upgrade the "official" way (whatever that actually is) but I'm also prepared to give it go using any other method available.

Thanks

Kev

5. jope69

jope69 Member

@jporch316 :
    U got 2 phonelines : the "1" indicates that line 1 is active.
    regards
    Johanna

6. baileyrichard

baileyrichard Member

hi

If anyone could please provide some more details on how to make the upgrade from CPW in detail it would be appreciated. The LG updater is telling me v1.6 is the latest and I am on the CPW site and cannot find where to update.

thanks in advance

7. jealumalai111462

jealumalai111462 New Member

Is LG updater is still saying your phone is latest version(Even it is 1.6).

In the LG software update tool click on help and select your country and language then go and verify the supporting mobiles and software version if the V2.1 is available in your country then follow the below tips to update

1.Locate the folder in C drive LG Mobile Update in that folder there will be a txt file delete the whole folder from C drive (I am not sure about the exact folder name but it will start with LG)

2.There is a option called recovery phone in LG software tool try to use that option

Hope u will able to move to 2.1 with out any issues.

8. djpailo

djpailo Active Member

I used the LG suit pc 4 and checked for updates and it worked.

9. RainbowChild

RainbowChild Member

I also used the LG PC Suite IV and my phone updated without any problems. It automatically told me that new phone software was available and it took less than 14 minutes to download and install.

Loving 2.1 :D