Carrier can detect my device?

Last Updated:

1. pureshot78

pureshot78 New Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 7, 2010
    I previously used a V-Razor on ATT with unlimited text, web/data.
    Now i have a Nexus One, unlocked for ATT and started using it a couple days ago.

Today I installed the application Good for Enterprise, as my company has the Good servers. Long and short of it is Good was blocked by the carrier, so I called ATT (at the advice of our IT / Good administrator) to get a code added to my data plan.

In the conversation, the Customer Service person asked if I was using a Nexus One phone, which i said yes.. probably my mistake. Anyway, she went on to tell me that I needed to change to a "smart phone" data plan which would not be unlimited. I told her clearly I wanted NO changes to my plan or contract. She stated that a system scan would detect my device and "Sweep" the plan, automatically changing it to the smart phone one.
    I'm digging for my contract, but was obviously irritated. The CS rep did confirm verbally that she had not made any changes to my account, but said she was marking my record of the issue, or something like that.

Has anyone had similar issues? Can ATT change my data plan like they said, or was that just BS for the Customer Service rep who changed it without my permission?

To be safe for now, I swapped my SIM card back to my V-Razor.

I wouldn't consider myself a HUGE data user, but would be very disappointed if my unsubsidized phone purchase was a huge waste.

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Jun 12, 2010
    I already had a smartphone plan when i got my nexus, but i do recall that any smartphone required a different data plan that the cheaper non-smartphone plan. I do not believe they can require you to sign up for a plan that you do not want, however they may be able to terminate your current data plan because the phone doesn't meet the criteria of the contract. You'd have to read it over and see if it mentions specific phones or types of phones.
  3. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Basically, if you are on a contract plan, yes they can. How much danger of themdoing it if you weren't asking for something from them, I don't know. My N1 is a gophone with prepaid data, so they can't do anything to me.

If the N1 had an actual AT&T ROM, you wouldn't be able to use it at all without a smartphone plan. It doesn't, so I suspect it is harder for them to detect it, but if you are on a contract plan, there is always the danger that something will tip them off and they are within their rights given to them by their own fine print to sweep you onto a smartphone plan.

Sorry. :(

EDIT: Just saw Lunatic59s post. He covers the other option-- they can revoke your contract plan and then let you decide if you want a contract smartphone plan or nothing.
  4. talksinmaths

talksinmaths Active Member

Jul 29, 2008
    I have been using my nexus one on the dumbphone plan since the att version became available. Before the end of smartphone unlimited plan I tried to get on it, fearing what she threatened, that I would be automatically put on a smartphone limited plan, but stupidly got on the dumbphone data+text unlimited plan, which my parents soon canceled. In calling them to restore it I told them I was on a nexus one, and they said the same thing that I had to register with them, I told them I wouldn't and hung up. And called back again to get on the 10$ plan without mentioning anything. So apparently they still think I am a Samsung solstice.

But that was 2 weeks ago and am still on the 10$ plan, and am crossing my fingers it will continue.

edit: Forgot to mention, I briefly switched (<30 sec) sims with a friend who immediately got put on the smartphone plan. Don't know what to make of that.
  5. BrwnEydGirl

BrwnEydGirl Active Member

May 27, 2010
    I completely understand your concern and I offer you a bit of advice if you want to continue keeping your current data plan.

1. Use Wi-Fi whenever possible and minimize your use of 3G. I'm not saying "Don't use it!", but try not to go over the amount you used to use while on your Razor. You should be able to go online to see your previous bills. You should check and see how much data you averaged per month. It'll probably be well under 1GB as the Razor does not use as much data as the Nexus One.

2. Monitor your data use with an app like NetCounter (free in Market)

3. Avoid apps that have anything to do with your carrier. For example, some apps on the Market have been developed by T-mobile to help customers "back-up" their phone contacts. Yes, these type of apps are very useful but if you don't want your carrier to know you have a N1...don't install them.

Just so you know, I have had an unlimited data plan with T-Mobile for over 6 years. It's the $5.99 plan. Before buying the N1, I was warned that this data service would not work with the N1 but that information is false. I've had my N1 for well over 4 months and I'm still on the $5.99 plan. I'm very careful not to use a large amount of data on 3G. It's ok to use 3G for checking email, browsing the internet, looking up directions, movie times, etc. because that doesn't use much data. It's things like downloading movies and music, streaming music or videos that use up a lot of data.

Since having the N1, I use less data than when I had the Samsung Behold so it would be a shame and unfair if T-mobile changed my plan just because I have a SmartPhone. I used to use about 700 MB to 900 MB a month while I had the Samsung Behold. Now I only use about 30 MB a month with the Nexus One so in my opinion, I'm not cheating T-mobile in any way since I'm using less data.
  6. Drhyde

Drhyde Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Personally, I've always felt that the carriers are cheating us with $30 data plans when you could get DSL for around that cost. Sure you can't take it with you, but they don't throttle your connection either. I doubt carriers require that much maintenance for their signal and with a company like AT&T with revenues coming out their ears, I doubt $30+ is truly what it costs.