• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carrier Identification......I think

Build Prop Eitor app..scroll to "RO cmda" & change what it displays and save/re-boot

Thanks! That worked great. I had tried a view carrier change apps and none worked. I have edited my build prop for 3g enhancement before and followed your advice to change the carrier = success!

Now I have successfully debranded my VM phone. No more VM boot animation and changed carrier to Sprint. lol. I also put a small carbon fiber sticker over the boost logo on my elite. The reason I did this was people making fun that I had a Virgin Mobile phone. Now they can't tell. :)

Upvote 0
The carrier's name, as it is displayed in About Phone in System Settings, and on the Notifications panel, can be altered in build.prop. For example, for a time in Sleipnir's earlier RCs in place of the carrier it would say "Sleipnir." Changing what carrier network you are on is a different, and a legal gray area, story. However, concerning the current wifi network, and whether or not that may be displayed in place of your carrier name - basically anything in Android is possible.

If you're not having any luck with us here on Phandroid, try XDA-Developers or a Google search to see if its been done before. If it has, most likely it's done through an init.d script, which Sleipnir has kernel-level support for if you're running it. Not sure of other ROMs off of the top of my head (it's 2:34am, can't sleep), but init.d was something I finally finished kernel-level support for with regard to Sleipnir.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones