Carrier-Installed Apps

Last Updated:

1. Mick1988

Mick1988 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I have recently purchased an unlocked HTC Desire. As you may or may not know, here in Australia the only carrier of the Desire is Telstra. However I use 3 mobile so that's the reason I purchased an unlocked device.

My problem is that my phone has about a dozen or more apps which are installed by Telstra and uninstallable. Most of them are 100% useless because I'm not even on their network and I'd like them out of my applications list.

I've had a read around and I saw something about being able to remove them by deleting the file and then uninstalling them using a command prompt program.

Would anyone please be able to give me detailed instructions on how to do this because I'm not sure how to find the system/apps folder and I'm also not sure on how to get the command prompt thing to work.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Advertisement
  2. mutanti

mutanti Member

Im also with telstra but rooted my phone to 2.2 Been awesome ever since. I Have Tmod2_mcr_r5 cant beat it.. much better

3. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

Yeah you're much better off just debranding your phone. It doesn't require rooting and is a pretty quick process. There are loads of threads on here and on other websites detailing how to do it, but it basically involves downloading a stock version of the OS from HTC and then basically 'flashing' it to your phone. That will get rid of all that pesky branding and useless apps!

4. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

it should be noted that de-branding your phone usually voids the warranty.

I've been meaning to call Fonebiz (the Australian HTC service agent) & ask them if they can "update the software" for me with a stock HTC rom because this wouldn't void my warranty, but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I'll call them Monday.

Plus, I'm sick of waiting for Telstra to pull their finger out & release 2.2.

5. Mick1988

Mick1988 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the answers. Whereabouts can I get a stock version of the software from HTC? I had a quick look on their site but couldn't locate it. I'm not too fussed about the warranty because it's a business phone so a new one would be a tax writeoff anyways.

Also, how do I go about flashing this to the phone?