• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carrier Phones -Android root Vs Carrier unlock

droid2b

Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Greetings!

IOS to Android convert! and trying to see some analogy between Jailbreak(IOS) and root Android ....and baseband unlock (IOS) vs equivalent app/function in android...

What is the carrier unlock equivalent in Android phones and something that comes along with root or is an APP by itself or a simple BUT elusive unlock code...

Im sure given the diverse uptake of android ...answers may fit more than one bucket BUT some generalisation for android carrier unlock from this great forum ...appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks ..yes i gather that ..thats why the above query ...is carrier unlock a hit or miss case of unlock codes or any specific app that unlocks the modem radio software ?

Case in point the Atrix ..what i gather is unlock is more a hit and miss and has wideranging sideffects like disabling the wifi ?
>>>>>
baseband unlock (IOS) vs equivalent app/function in android...
What is the carrier unlock equivalent in Android phones and something that comes along with root or is an APP by itself or a simple BUT elusive unlock code

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
What is the carrier unlock equivalent in Android phones

For GSM handsets this is most easily done via an unlock code specific to the serial and/or IEMI number, obtained either from your carrier or from an online unlocking service.

and something that comes along with root or is an APP by itself or a simple BUT elusive unlock code...

Root is required for some software methods e.g. my own Desire Z. An unlock code is simple to obtain and not elusive at all - a few bucks is all it costs and the device remains otherwise stock. Otoh it's perfectly possible to root an Android handset but remain 'subsidy locked'.

HTH

Upvote 0
For GSM handsets this is most easily done via an unlock code specific to the serial and/or IEMI number, obtained either from your carrier or from an online unlocking service.

Root is required for some software methods e.g. my own Desire Z. An unlock code is simple to obtain and not elusive at all - a few bucks is all it costs and the device remains otherwise stock. Otoh it's perfectly possible to root an Android handset but remain 'subsidy locked'.

HTH
Make that "subsidy locked" carrier locked. I bought a phone outright from the carrier on a non-subsidized plan. We apparently have one MVNO that is totally "bring your own phone."
I've bought used phones that were still locked to a carrier, but no subsidy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones