• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CarrierIQ and the Photon

Citizen Coyote

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2011
Austin, TX
By now I'm sure you've heard of CarrierIQ, the spyware/keylogger that comes preinstalled on many smartphones (mainly Android phones, but also some Blackberries and there is evidence it's on the iPhone as well). If you're concerned about this, I've found some good news. According to ShabbyPenguin (who posts here as well on occasion), our beloved Photon is free of CarrierIQ. While he's not sure of the reason why, he believes it might be because the Photon is a world phone and thus such software could run afoul of other carriers' policies.

If you want more information on what CarrierIQ is and what it does, check out this lengthy YouTube video by the guy who figured it out.

By now I'm sure you've heard of CarrierIQ, the spyware/keylogger that comes preinstalled on many smartphones (mainly Android phones, but also some Blackberries and there is evidence it's on the iPhone as well). If you're concerned about this, I've found some good news. According to ShabbyPenguin (who posts here as well on occasion), our beloved Photon is free of CarrierIQ. While he's not sure of the reason why, he believes it might be because the Photon is a world phone and thus such software could run afoul of other carriers' policies.

If you want more information on what CarrierIQ is and what it does, check out this lengthy YouTube video by the guy who figured it out.

I was just reading about that the other day, so I'm glad you started this thread. That's awesome news, if that's indeed 100% true. CarrierIQ is something that, if it's not on the MoPho, I'll probably stick with this phone for longer than the 1 year rate that I've been keeping my phones. That is, of course, unless the MoPho II doesn't have it and it completely outshines the current MoPho.

Upvote 0
I just purchased a Photon before seeing this thread. I hope this is indeed true, as I'm very alarmed at CarrierIQ's potential, esp since I've had a Samsung phone for a year. I actually came in here looking for rooting info and saw this thread. Thanks for posting this. I look forward to the arrival of my Photon. :)

Upvote 0
I just purchased a Photon before seeing this thread. I hope this is indeed true, as I'm very alarmed at CarrierIQ's potential, esp since I've had a Samsung phone for a year. I actually came in here looking for rooting info and saw this thread. Thanks for posting this. I look forward to the arrival of my Photon. :)

The MoPho is a fantastic phone. Although it's been met with harsh criticism for certain things, most of the early bugs have been resolved and I give it a ringing endorsement. I used to have an EVO, which I loved, but I love this phone even more.

Upvote 0
There's another app in the MARKET to detect CARRIER IQ,which does not require root:

VOODOO SIMPLE CARRIER IQ DETECTOR.
May want to pass this info on to those who aren't as fortunate as us here & do not have the PHOTON.
I still D/L it,just to confirm/test the app to see if it indicated that our phone has CARRIER IQ,which isn't installed on our phone.

EDIT:

LOOKOUT has now published their own CARRIER IQ detection app,available in the MARKET.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones