Case-Mate Pop! case review with lots of picturesTips

1. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

After using Case-Mate Tough case, you can read my full detailed review here (http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/687623-case-mate-tough-case-review-w-lots-pics.html), I decided to check out its sibling - Case-Mate Pop! What got my interest was a kick stand and a molded single piece design. Here is a link to Pop! case website - Case-Mate Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Pop Cases (Case-Mate NOTE2-POP), Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Cases, Covers, Accessories by Case-Mate | Case-Mate

Being already impressed with a level of details and high quality of Tough design, I can tell you that Pop! is on the same level. Pop! is very slim with similar dimensions in comparison to Tough. What sets them apart is that Pop! has a molded single piece design with outer plastic shell and inner rubber lining. Outer side is very shiny and smooth, and plastic feels very sturdy. Being shiny and black with a color I got makes it somewhat a fingerprint magnet, but it wipes off very easy. I also think that with time you might see some scratches, but it will not be too bad because the case has a brilliantly designed rubber handles that extend to the back thus lifting a phone off the surface when placed back down. It's one of those great engineered details that a lot of other manufactures don't account for since everybody always concerned with a lip on the front of the phone to keep the screen off the surface, rather than back. So in addition to giving a great side grip, these side handles keep the phone off the surface, make sure the phone will not slide on the surface, and make it very sturdy to keep the phone on it's back without wobbling.

Also, the kickstand is completely recessed in the back of the case without any need for through cutout (another great design detail). The kick stand itself has a rubber tip to keep it from sliding when extended. Due to the slim design, I wouldn't consider this kick stand to be the sturdiest and I have to point out - the rubber tip/flap doesn't have longevity in it's attachment. Since you do need to use a nail to lift it up (and its not that bad actually), its easy to tear off. But even without this rubber tip/flap - kickstand functionality is not compromised and it should work regardless.

Inner rubber part of the shell is nicely textured. I think its one of the Case-Mate signatures to have some funky inner design. That works well by reducing the weight of the case and gives a better cushion if you drop it on the back. The rubber material is softer than one in Tough (where in case of Tough they used just a bumper which is hard tpu-like rubber). The lip height is the same as on Tough, gives you enough clearance when you put the phone down on its screen. Cutouts are perfectly aligned with adequate room. I always have to note that micro-usb opening is wide enough for aftermarket connectors, mic openings generous not to cause any echo or sound obstruction, s-pen will go in/out without a problem. I also want to mention that because rubber material is softer than Tough case, the volume/power buttons are easier to push - those work perfectly!

The fitment with a phone is like a glove, a very tight one! Once you insert the phone, it almost becomes like a tight skin around it. As a matter of fact, to take the phone out I had to push slightly on a camera lens. Typically this will wear off after a few fitments, but its a very good indicator how well the case will stay with a phone if you drop it. In terms of protection, I feel Tough and Pop! will protect it on the same level, maybe with some advantage to Tough design since the rubber bumper is harder. But overall these are both very slim and light cases that should protect your phone in style during everyday use.

Below you will find a number of pictures, including a few with comparison between Pop! and Tough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
    sherlynn and GrandMasterB like this.
  2. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

That looks really nice. Does the kickstand work in portrait too?
  3. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

Landscape only.
  4. sonshine1

sonshine1 Active Member

I have been wanting a case with a kickstand and this one really looks nice but I have a couple of questions.I had a Case-Mate Pop for my HTC Thunderbolt and after 3-4 months of use the rubber around the volume and power buttons got really loose and started bowing way out and looked awful. I read online back then that this was a problem with this case. Does it look like that could be a problem with this one at all? I hope they have improved them but wanted your opinion on how you think it will hold up. Also I was reading on Google about the case and came across this review from someone else..... "Did you happen to notice that the kickstand is upside down on this case? For any apps that rotate the screen for you, this case is useless. The kickstand on all phones and all other cases rotate the phone so that the home button is on the right...this case puts the home button on the left. So far I have three apps that automatically rotate the screen and I had to return this case. The KEY feature of this case is wrong. This is a custom case for AT&T and I have no idea why it would be designed this way other then it was a mistake." What is your opinion on this? I really would like to get this case and thank you for the great review
  5. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

Buttons seems to be very sturdy, and the inner part of the bump is reinforced (you can see it from the pictures of inner button part I took above). I can't comment on it to compare to the same model for other older phones, but from what I see it looks durable.

With a kickstand, yes, I have noticed it's in opposite directions as other cases I have with kickstand. But I haven't encountered any problems since I see all my apps rotating both ways. I mean, the only real time you need to use kickstand is what you're watching a movie, right? MX Player I use rotates each way, YT rotates each way as well. Maybe Pop! decided to cater to left-handed people :D
  6. sonshine1

sonshine1 Active Member

Thank you for the reply Twister6. I guess I am in luck then because I am left-handed!! Well I will strongly consider this case then. I currently have a Qmadix Groove case and really do like it but really really wanted a kickstand. I have a separate kickstand by Square Jellyfish that I keep in my purse that I purchased from Amazon. My HTC Thunderbolt spoiled me by having one built into the phone so I wanted to find a nice case with a kickstand already on it. Again thank you for your feedback on this case.
  7. ppfd

ppfd Member

I bought one of these with my Note 2 as it was the only case AT&T at the store, and they know you gotta have a case!:rolleyes:

Anyway, the "kickstand" is a major PITA to open, the rubber piece tore off within days of using the kickstand.

Other than that, its a case. I replaced it with the Seidio Active Case.
  8. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide

In my case kickstand was not hard to open, but I confirm that rubber piece probably will not last too long. Still, kickstand should work without it.

Btw, apparently only AT&T and Amazon sells them in white/grey while Case-mate on-line store only has it in black/grey and white/pink...
  9. ppfd

ppfd Member

Yeah I got stuck with white, not my first choice definitely lol! The kick stand on mine was very hard to open.
    Not a bad case, my situation I needed something with belt carry.