• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cases or screen protectors?

I got a case from the at&t store. They had two to choose from and I chose cheaper of the two ("body glove" at $25 vs $30) in the hopes that otterbox will come out with a case for the captivate. I have yet to get a screen protector though.

So far the body glove seems like a fairly standard semi-maleable case that will protect against short falls and Knicks and scratches. It's not a bad case, but it also isn't anything above the norm.

Upvote 0
I got it off e-bay as it was the only place I found it, its very cheap right now for only $14. I've used some of these for iphones before and they came out great, but since the captivate is brand spanking new I'm hoping it fits well. Even so the seller has a 30 day return policy so not too much to lose.

It also comes with a car charger! lol
It should be here soon so when it comes in I can update this thread and let you know the fit/quality.

Samsung Captivate FULL BODY SCREEN PROTECTOR SHIELD - eBay (item 110560731692 end time Jul-24-10 12:00:21 PDT)

Upvote 0
I got it off e-bay as it was the only place I found it, its very cheap right now for only $14. I've used some of these for iphones before and they came out great, but since the captivate is brand spanking new I'm hoping it fits well. Even so the seller has a 30 day return policy so not too much to lose.

It should be here soon so when it comes in I can update this thread and let you know the fit/quality.

Samsung Captivate FULL BODY SCREEN PROTECTOR SHIELD - eBay (item 110560731692 end time Jul-24-10 12:00:21 PDT)

Haha I ordered the same one! :)

Upvote 0

I was about to order it too, but it'll be wonderful if you can give us some feedback, then we can decide whether it's good or not. THANKS@@

Upvote 0
Am I missing something regarding screen protectors? I had one on my Storm and removed it due to it getting all dull and hazy after a short while and the "feel" of the screen was diminished to. I used the phone for 1.5 years without one and not a single scratch. I carry it in my pocket too, although i do my best to keep my keys separate.

It seems pretty difficult to scratch many of these newer glass screens and I find the stick on protectors more trouble than they are worth. Is there something else I'm missing since so many people continue to buy them? Do they really help? Or is the perceived need for them carried over by people who used to own phones that really did need them?

Thanks.

Reactions: Jofaba
Upvote 0
KMA:
I think it comes down to preferences.

These are capacitance screens, so generally, they will be very responsive
even with a protector. As a matter of fact, I noticed last night that if I
just hover my finger over an app for too long it launches..lol

If you can keep your screen scratch free, then power to you. I dont trust
myself, so I put on a protector.

Reactions: KMA
Upvote 0
The AT&T screen protector for the Captivate is good. However, it's very difficult to put on, you have to be spot on with positioning. Any dust particle causes a bubble.

I agree, but there is an easy solution to this. Before you apply the screen protector, wipe the screen down with the included cloth, then get a roll of 3M packaging tape and just lighly apply it to your screen for a second and peel off. This will pull off all the dust from the screen and make avoiding getting bubbles much easier. The screen protector requires very precise and slow application. If you mess up, peel back and try. There is no penalty in trying as many times as you want till you get it on right. If in the middle of this process dust gets on the screen, remove it. If it gets stuck to the underside of the proctector, pick it off wth the tape and wash it with water and dry it with a soft microfiber cloth. Then try again till you get it on perfectly. There is no glue on the screen protector, so washing it wont do any harm. This took me over an hour yesterday, but the results are fantastic.

Upvote 0

Def let us all know about fitment, installation, and how good instructions are. Pretty much give us a good review lol hahaha I am torn between this one and Invisible Shield.

Upvote 0

Haha I ordered the same one! :)
I ordered one as well, but it still has yet to arrive. I received a USPS delivery confirmation # on the 21st but still a no show as of the 27th. I saw one person left feedback on this particular kit already saying "Decent Screen protector, but the full body parts didn't fit at all.", although another said it was great and it shipped fast.

I for one will not be leaving positive feedback for shipping thats for sure. At least for $12 the charger still makes it a decent deal regardless of the kit, but I hope its not complete junk. Ill post up some pics if and when I ever receive my package.

Upvote 0
Still havent gotten this crap yet. I could have walked to Utah and back faster than this. Negative feedback will be forthcoming regardless of how GREAT the product is, which I have my doubts about based on other eBay feedback.

Do not buy from eBay member, jusage

It's been 8 days since ordered and still nothing. I just ordered an item on the evening of the 27th that arrived from Florida in less than 2 days, also first class mail. I actually thought it was this package until I read the label. Carrier pigeons get things done faster than this guy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones